glowworm hxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Just back from looking at a 18hxi ( customer says that he'd posted the problems with it on this forum and TOLD me to reset the O/H stat).

It was stuck on F5 - fair do's. Told me he'd been also having probs with the boiler showing the F1 - ignition fault for months, and that the electrode had been replaced.

Took the cover off and took a look. Firstly, noticed that the electrode earth lead was charred around the spade connector. Then also noticed scorching (on the insulation that sits on the side panel), at the side of the burner. Obviously the burner gets hot, but not to the point of scorching??. The 3 nuts on that right side of the burner were only finger tight!!

I imagine the burner seals have perished as a result of this allowing excess heat to leak onto that side. Must also account for all those F1 ignition faults. I'm sure these seals have been upgraded to ? graphite. Anyone have the code or GC No to hand, or know whre i can get replacements asap.

undercover

Sponsored Links
Parts - tried partsarena on the Partscenter site??

Hope you left it capped.

Every single one of these that i have seen this year has needed a new seal.

Sponsored Links
Pity you're not near me, I have a large box of the graphite seals in my garage as supplied by Vaillant :cry: Only ever had one go faulty though.

Usually at the 11 o'clock position if they do go.

Thanks for the offer Dave.

Scorching was at 12 to 3 o'clock. Those 3 (out of the 5)burner nuts were only finger tight which is why the gasket probably perished.

Looks like i'm gonna have to replace the electrode as well. The earth lead was burnt so i'm assuming the gasket there has also gone.

This is why the new nuts with the new seal have a locking ring in them. Make sure you use the new ones ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back