GlowWorm or Valliant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ferroli Boiler has died a death, their spares dept is non existent unless trade and buying in bulk and they cannot even point me in the direction of a stockist..as in when you phone the 'stockist' that Ferroli point me to the 'stockist' states 'we don't use/stock ferroli any more' perfect.

In any case and not asking for a recommendation ..well not really.

I've decided to go for either a Glowworm Ultracom2 cxi or a Valliant Ecotec 837 ...live in a 4 bed house, 2 bathrooms, one gas mixer shower...one electric, 14 rads most of which are dpdc ...

The problem I have is that I've read conflicting reports on the flow rate and output, the 837 I thought was 37kw yet the website states 28kw output and the glowworm the same sort of.

Can anyone tell me what the correct output is for the CH and the Hot water and the flow rate on them please...and I am a little thick and don't understand the thing about the timers etc....on my ferroli I had a digital display on the front of it and a wireless room stat....is this available on the two listed boilers or do I need to pay extra and is there a wireless room stat available for them or again is this an option?

Any thoughts on the boilers (just these boilers) as to their reliability etc...would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Vaillant. easy decision really. The Ultracom 2 is a new model and yet to see how reliable they will be.
The 28kw output is for the heating. Its still 37kw for the hot water. flow rate will be about 15 l/min . There are a number of options for timers. Maybe something best discussed with your installer?

There is no "correct" number. It is a theoretical value reached by drawing a set amount of water over a set amount of time coming in at a set temperature. It is as likely to happen as doing 60 mph for an hour.

The best thing to do is to find a top notch installer, tell him what you want, and then let him get on with it. It is pointless trying to find out all the details and then tell the RGI how to do his job.

Sponsored Links
The Vaillant is a German boiler, the same ones the Germans get.

Glowworm is UK operation bought by Vaillant to manufacture and sell cheaper specification boilers that are only for the UK market. They know they couldn't sell this stuff in Germany.

Which should you buy? If you can afford it the answer is obvious.

thank you so far

Keep the comments coming please...

Just out of curioisity....why is the 838 Valliant more expensive but offers
an inferiror flow rate? Is it because of the extra year warranty?

But please, comments on the reliability etc are helpful...

The 838 was brought in from Germany where it is marketed as an ecoMAX. It isn't called ecoMAX in the UK because that name was dropped when the ecoTEC came out, which had a smaller wall footprint.

It has a fancier control panel but has not been a sales success in the UK.

If you go with Vaillant stick with the ecoTEC range.

Glowworm boilers are made cheaper and come with shorter warranties. Some Vaillant qualified installers have a 5yr warranty available to them, making the 838 warranty offer worthless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back