Glowworm swiftflow, ceased fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the end of a noisy weekend with the combi whirring and screeching it finally came to a sudden peacfull halt on sunday evening. Perfect for a relaxing evening, if it wasnt for the fact that the heating and hot water both stopped working as well.
It certainly sounded as though it was the fan making the loud noises due to it becoming louder each time the c/h kicked in. since it went quiet it says it is still running but the rads went cold and there was no more hot water.

The boiler is a glowworm swiftflow 100, it must be coming up to 10 years old now. only moved in to the property a month ago and had it serviced, should this have been picked up during a service?

anyone know if this does sound like the fan and if so how much do people reckon a good replacement cost should be, are we looking at about £150-£200? our budget isnt really set up for a new boiler so do people think this would be a good alternative or is it worth stretching to get a new one?

cheers, Col.

Sponsored Links
Just priced for a fan on the 80 model m8 and at £140 from parts centre think i would seriously look at stretching to a new boiler.
10 years old is it's life expectancy so good money after bad IMHO. ;)

you can sometimes get the fans going again by lubricating the bearings but its only really temporary and it usually doesnt work at all.

as for getting a new boiler.....great if you have the money to do so but as you have just moved in im guessing you haven't. if you treat boilers like old cars then you will replace the fan and hope nothing else goes drastically wrong...thats the only guarantee you will get with a combi over 10years old. theres nothing to say it wont last a lot longer.

Sponsored Links
thanks,

got someone coming over to take a look and confirm the problem. I'm pained to have to splash out for a new boiler so soon after buying the place, so will see how much it might be and then start saving.

Is there anything else it could be? and should this have been picked up in a service? just nothing much was seemed to have been done during the service, but I guess this is always the way :(

fans can start screeching at any time and pack up fairly quickly. even if it was screeching at the service, all he would have done is mention it to the tennant and give the option to fit a new one. my guess is that it has only started screeching over last couple of weeks. i put one in on a swiftflow 80. it was £125 inc vat but another gas parts place wanted £140 + vat. i'd get a new fan, its not a bad boiler overall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back