Glowworm ultracom 18sxi problem/s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm after some advice about the ongoing issues I have with my glowworm ultracom 1 18 sxi boiler. Firstly it seems like a common fault that the expansion vessel goes wrong a lot, for ever emptying the water. I've had three pressure relief valves and the vessel tested and there are no leaks. Any ideas on this for starters? The system doesn't have any leaks anywhere else.

Secondly, after the Sumer I put the heating on, and about 6 weeks ago I noticed the boiler running throughout the night. It wasn't anywhere near freezing so I guessed it wasn't the frost stat. The hot water will not switch off, regardless of the timer being on or off. The stat on the hot water tank clicks but also has no affect. A plumber said straight away 'three port valve' got a new one, no change. Now, if I put the heating on without the hot water, it will run at full blast and the room stat will click but won't switch it off. If I put the hot water on, then it goes back to normal. Although the hot water will still run! So, could it be the programmer? Or an over run stat thing in the boiler? I have to keep switching it off at the mains, then once it's cooled down it dumps its water and I have to refill. There are no error codes on the boiler glow worm say they have never heard of any of these problems? Although on their customer forum it says they have expansion tank issues? I've got a Drayton lo programmer , and no electrical work or other work has been done which may have caused issues. Please help, my gas bills are getting too big

Sponsored Links
You should engage a proper boiler engineer and not a plumber.

The expansion vessel on that boiler is pretty reliable and I suspect whoever "tested" it does not know how to do it properly.

You should not have to pay for parts or diagnosis for anyone who replaces a valve when its not the problem.

It sounds as if you have several problems and probably sludge in the boiler too.

You really need a good engineer!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back