Good things labour and the conservatives have done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll start it off when labour banned smoking in pubs clubs etc etc good thing ,

Sponsored Links
I'll start it off when labour banned smoking in pubs clubs etc etc good thing ,

I thought you said 'good' things. The ban hastened the closing of many ordinary pubs that were borderline financially, before the ban. The ban tipped them over the edge. Some pubs I know of in better areas also closed down as proper pubs, and are know only viable as gastro pubs, serving over-priced, small portions of food and £5 a pint 'craft ales' to knobs. Well done Labour!

Best keep looking for something good that they did.

... and clubs now stink something rotten - first time I went to a gig after the ban I could only smell urine, farts and stale sick and beer - cigs for all their bad points disguised a lot of even more horrible smells!

I thought the original ban was an excellent idea - ban it where food is served, but not an outright ban.

Sponsored Links
Pubs are closing simply because of the greedy pubco's that own them. I can remember the government at the time trying to break the monopoly of the "tied house" situation. Many breweries simply put up the rent to extortionate prices, then told the government "We can't get anyone to take on the tenancy,,, we'll have to put a manager in." How many times in budget speeches have we heard, "This will mean a penny on the price of a pint." Yep and how many pubs have you been in after the budget where the price has only gone up by 1p ?? Bloody none that's what. By the time us punters are paying for it, the brewery have put their prices up, the landlord too has put his bit on and before you know it, a pint now goes up by 10p (and often more).
Anyway, back to the original question "Good things the Labour and Conservatives have done." Well to be quite honest, I can't think of one good thing they have done in "our best interests." I can think of plenty, they have done in "their best interests." Like award themselves an inflation busting wage rise" year in year out, at times when they limit wage rises in the public sector. ;);););)

One should also regard the drink-driving laws as having made a contribution to the demise of pubs.
Also the prices of alcoholic drinks in the supermarkets compared to those in the pubs.
I suspect that the consumption of alcohol has not diminished, merely moved to a different environment, and possibly increased.

I'd take a guess that pubs were further doomed by the demise of the "working class". Large numbers of people working at manual jobs for good wages. A friend of mine, now no longer with us, told me that the drink driving law started the decline of the pubs.

As for what good things the Red or the Blue team have done for us as a country I'd be hard pushed to think of anything. A lot of fiddling around the edges, which always seems to have some unforeseen consequence.

I, for one, actually started to dislike pubs because of the smoking.
After a couple of hours in a pub, when I arrived home I had to shower, and put all the clothes worn outside until they could be washed, before I could feel comfortable again.

Pubs are closing down because society is changing. I used to meet all the lads down at the pub for a laugh. Now its social media young ones don't bother with local pubs. Pubs that have been open for over 100 years closed down.

Interesting article linked to by blightymam. The decline in pubs has been happening for a long time. (perhaps jockscott ought to read it before commenting.)
If the decline in pubs has been happening, perhaps it's only the diehard smoking, beer drinking people (the non-smokers and non beer drinker had left long ago) that continued to frequent the pubs. Thus any smoking ban will have adversely affected an already declining facility because the majority of customers remaining, by then, were smokers.
I'm not drawing any correlation between drinking and smoking, just that the remaining pub users may have been, in the main, smokers.

You think I'm wrong Himaginn?? I have raised valid points. Breweries got greedy, the government got greedy, (read blighty's linked article) Landlords were always greedy. Pubco's continue to close more pubs than they open. ;)

Pubs are closing simply because of the greedy pubco's that own them. I can remember the government at the time trying to break the monopoly of the "tied house" situation. Many breweries simply put up the rent to extortionate prices, then told the government "We can't get anyone to take on the tenancy,,, we'll have to put a manager in."
You think I'm wrong Himaginn?? I have raised valid points. Breweries got greedy, the government got greedy, (read blighty's linked article) Landlords were always greedy. Pubco's continue to close more pubs than they open.
I didn't doubt your opinion, until I read the link:
The Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) has the answers, and the culprits are not the greedy, supposedly useless pub companies that so many people love to hate so obsessively. Its new report by Christopher Snowdon is chock-a-block with fascinating facts and reveals how a variety of powerful forces including tax, regulation and cultural change are destroying one of Britain’s most iconic industries.
So would I accept your opinion in favour of The Institute of Economic Affairs?
Perhaps not!

How many times in budget speeches have we heard, "This will mean a penny on the price of a pint." Yep and how many pubs have you been in after the budget where the price has only gone up by 1p ?? Bloody none that's what. By the time us punters are paying for it, the brewery have put their prices up, the landlord too has put his bit on and before you know it, a pint now goes up by 10p (and often more).
I don't particularly take issue with this part of your comment. But I don't think it's a major valid point. I suspect that the tax that the IEA referred to:
Taxes have been one key problem. Planning rules that push up the cost of operating pubs - especially when compared with supermarkets - haven’t helped either.
Budgetary increases on VAT etc weren't mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Back