Googlemaps

L

longdogs

Anyone else noticed how rubbish googlemaps is these days? It used to be excellent for finding a customer's property. You could quite often zoom right in and see the door number. Prior to visiting New York a few years ago, I took a virtual walk around most of the streets and got to know the area really well before going.

Now, what ever you click on, it just seems to spin around in all directions apart from the one you want.

Sponsored Links
Yes I realise that but it just doesn't seem to be as controllable as it was.

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember posting on this issue on a different thread, but I can't remember where.

I found the 'updated' Google Maps inferior to the previous version, and remember going to great lengths to locate and bookmark the earlier version that I found superior.

Why do these people insist on 'improving' a perfectly good product? Microsoft is the same: they 'improved' Windows 7 to the much-hated Windows 8! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I will be leaping in to Win 10 at the end of the month...wish me luck!!

I will be leaping in to Win 10 at the end of the month...wish me luck!!
When you've had the chance to try it, please let me know your considered opinions.
I'm happy with W7, but I've heard that W10 loads and opens files quicker. For that reason, I think I might want to upgrade.
On the other hand, I'm always a little wary about old programmes not running under a new OS.

There is speculation that the free download offer may lead in the future to unexpected charges and shorter support times than is usual.

Also, having a brand new undebugged (there's a word) system may not be the wisest choice.

That's why I want to wait and see what the guinea pigs (sorry SS!) find first.

That is quite offputting for two reasons: the likelihood of having to pay for updates; the features (like Windows Media Player) that will be absent under W10.

So what after support for Windows 7 ceases?
Linux?
I don't know much about Linux other than I've heard it said that it is not too straightforward for 'amateur' users like myself.
Does it have any limitations with regard to the software it will run?

That is quite offputting for two reasons: the likelihood of having to pay for updates; the features (like Windows Media Player) that will be absent under W10.

Linux?
I don't know much about Linux other than I've heard it said that it is not too straightforward for 'amateur' users like myself.

Linux can pee you off from time to time, but it is perfectly fine (and free!) for most usage.

Linux?

Linux can pee you off from time to time, but it is perfectly fine (and free!) for most usage.
I have often thought about trying Linux; it's free, after all. I have an old laptop that may still work (although the battery is shot), so I could install it without worrying about losing anything.
In what way might it 'pee me off'?
Or is it just a matter of working through a steep learning curve?

Sponsored Links
Back