Googlemaps

Try using instant street view, better than google maps at navigating and rotating depending on what you're running.

https://www.instantstreetview.com
That looks very good, although as far as I can see it doesn't show maps, only street view.

Also, it's interesting that it states "Simply type an address or place name to instantly see it in Google Street View", yet when you look at the street view at the bottom it says "Instant Street View 2012-2015. Not affiliated with Google in any way"!

Sponsored Links
i reported the lack off half my street in street view on the link above and got this responce
Yours sincerely,
The Google Maps Team

Reference ID:sv2-Time-2015/07/10-15:32:04.024706-Pano-JwAnfUzR46myiKXCkfPG2w

I have often thought about trying Linux; it's free, after all. I have an old laptop that may still work (although the battery is shot), so I could install it without worrying about losing anything.
In what way might it 'pee me off'?
Or is it just a matter of working through a steep learning curve?
I had a look at Ubuntu Linux way back, I didn't really need it at the time so I never migrated to it, but it works fine. You could (and still can AFAIK) download it, and run it from a CD to try it. It's obviously slower loading that way, but it's easy and intuitive enough to use.
Really if you just want to run office programs, image manipulation, web browsing, email and so on, you don't "need" Windows, or any paid for programs. You can also run a lot of Windows programs under Linux on something called WINE.
Problem comes if you're a games player. Newer games won't run on Linux under WINE apparently.
I really don't know about this Windows 10 upgrade. I don't believe in "free" from one of the big corporations. Every dealing I seem to have with them computer wise, you seem to get pushed towards something they want you to do. The wording is never straightforward. "Free support for the life of the device" is one example. Now I know what that means to me, but what does it mean to them? I really, really do not intend to pay MS any sort of subscription for "essential upgrades" or to stop adverts appearing everywhere in the OS. There are big privacy questions about the way Win 10 gathers user information apparently too.
At the end of the day I shall leave Win 10 for a bit, and see what happens to other people. This "device" is 5 years old now. if I upgrade the MB at some time, I suspect that my "free" win 10 upgrade would be defunct, as it would be a "new machine" There is four and half years left in Win 7 yet, so I'm not panicking.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
So what after support for Windows 7 ceases?
Linux?
I don't know much about Linux other than I've heard it said that it is not too straightforward for 'amateur' users like myself.
Does it have any limitations with regard to the software it will run?

Linux can pee you off from time to time, but it is perfectly fine (and free!) for most usage.
I have often thought about trying Linux; it's free, after all. I have an old laptop that may still work (although the battery is shot), so I could install it without worrying about losing anything.

I don't fiddle with the workings of software much, so am a good benchmark for the non-techie.

Most things with Linux work perfectly well. Some things just seem (to me, anyway) a bit hit-and-miss.

Only certain brands of printer work with Linux - check before buying.
Google Earth - I couldn't get that to work at all.

That's a couple of things that spring to mind.

Give it a whirl though - it'll cost you nothing.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
I had a look at Ubuntu Linux way back, I didn't really need it at the time so I never migrated to it, but it works fine. You could (and still can AFAIK) download it, and run it from a CD to try it. It's obviously slower loading that way, but it's easy and intuitive enough to use.
Really if you just want to run office programs, image manipulation, web browsing, email and so on, you don't "need" Windows, or any paid for programs. You can also run a lot of Windows programs under Linux on something called WINE.
Problem comes if you're a games player. Newer games won't run on Linux under WINE apparently.
Thanks. Games are unimportant to me, so that's no worry. The things you list earlier are important, though, so if and when the time comes I'll download it on to my old laptop, along with the important programmes I use, and check that they are supported properly.

I really don't know about this Windows 10 upgrade. I don't believe in "free" from one of the big corporations.
When I first heard of the 'free' upgrade, that's what crossed my mind too!

Only certain brands of printer work with Linux - check before buying.
Google Earth - I couldn't get that to work at all.

That's a couple of things that spring to mind.

Give it a whirl though - it'll cost you nothing.
That's another thing I'd have to check. I have an old Epson printer that continues to work perfectly well, but it would be worth checking.

Google Earth or alternatively Google Maps are important, so I'd have to look into that. I suppose there are several types of Linux, so perhaps they might work with some and not with others.

Anyway, I'll probably stick with Windows 7 for the time being unless I hear some very positive things about W10. When it ceases to be supported I can move to Linux, but I'd like to try it first (on my old laptop) just to see what it's like.

Back