got a neon tester screwdriver? yes? then read this

I was told by a corgi registered plumber that if there is a fault to earth on an elctrical circuit and you test the circuit with a neon screwdriver to can receive a shock?

Is this true ?

Sponsored Links
if you touch anything metal, which is faulty and carrying a voltage, then yes you can get a shock

Tony6 said:
I was told by a corgi registered plumber that if there is a fault to earth on an elctrical circuit and you test the circuit with a neon screwdriver to can receive a shock?

Is this true ?

I was told by a NICEIC-registered electrician that if there is a hole in a gas pipe it can explode! ;)

Tony6 said:

Is this true ?

If this was a serious question, just have a think. How much more dangerous can you get than having the mains voltage on a conductor? So you touch it with your test screwdriver. Now how does a fault to earth on the conductor make it worse?

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
Tony6 said:

Is this true ?

I was told by a NICEIC-registered electrician that if there is a hole in a gas pipe it can explode! ;)
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:D
The usual old house wives are out in force hand bags at dawn.

The point being if you had a faulty earth and a fault to earth occurred as you were testing the circuit with a neon the chances of a shock are far greater.

Thats it!

The chances of a shock with a meter are none!

any multimeter that uses no current to measure a voltage is usless..

Our AVo model 8 isnt like that.. isnt much use for electronics / logic stuff though.. where as the fluke 4digit true rms jobbie is.. (cant remember the name)

No substitute for a set of test lamps.. (cyclim - ours are summit like 30 - 1kv) + bulb failed indicator.

David

i know this cable is live because my tester screwdriver lights

Anyway, going back to the original point, it's like putting your hand on the oven door and saying "it must be the right temperature because it's hot". The neon tells you NOTHING apart from the fact that there is sufficient voltage at an indeterminate current to make it strike.

You could argue all day over the potential safety issues, but the fact remains that they are considered "safe" and are sold under current legislation.

However, I think it's definitely better to consign them to the bin.

The point being if you had a faulty earth and a fault to earth occurred as you were testing the circuit with a neon the chances of a shock are far greater.

How so?

i dont use fused test leads simply because they are too bulky. we are supposed to use leads with finger guards, fuses, double insulation, life jacket, seat belt etc. again up to the individual and whatever he or she is happy with using

Tony6 said:

Thats it!
No - that's b*ll*cks.....

ban-all-sheds said:
Tony6 said:

Thats it!

No - that's b*ll*cks.....

I think that's the best description for it. :D

who took my fluke? said:
i dont use fused test leads simply because they are too bulky. ............

I've got both sorts of leads, and using the fused is like like trying to handle a couple of pickaxe handles when it comes to small spaces.

That was the advantage being brought up with moving coil instruments, you needed to understand them, and you needed to take care of them. Being sloppy and you could say goodbye to a meter in a very short time. Drop one and it's bye-bye too. (The rough service test instrument was the neon screwdriver :) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back