got a neon tester screwdriver? yes? then read this

Sponsored Links
you know this is why i dont do electrics above the basics. whenever i read a topic for discussion it seems that no one can ever come up with the same answer and it always turns into a bun fight! Ill stick to my chisels, power tools, bit hitty hammers, chainsaws and other landscaping kit. All sounds a lot more safer than fiddling around with electrics and physics!

ban-all-sheds said:
He's on Christmas Island.

He and Andrew2022 are playing hide-the-sausage...

:oops: well the secrets out now breezer :oops:

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Steinel Multi-check would be better than a neon.
although i agree with the statement I still wouldn't trust the Steinel either as from experience we found all of them to be untrustworthy with the reading of voltage when the internal battery was even slightly under full capacity such readings as 240v whilst checking 415v and 110v when checking 240v!

shaggy said:
Where's breezer?
like a few others on here i change my "location" just for fun, but Christmas island seemed festive along with its holly logo

Are any of you practising electricians? Heaven help us.

any multimeter that uses no current to measure a voltage is usless..

All voltage-sensing devices "use current" (apart from those measuring static electricity, which is a different phenomenon). Even the MOS-FET transistor which drives some of these low-current testers "uses" a tiny amount. Did you mean "sends current through the human body?

{A neon} will register any voltage from about 5V upwards

Dealt with by Oilman

...the safety of the user depends entirely on the integrity of the current limiting resistor in the unit

Ditto

The chances of a shock with a meter are none!

Not if you touch its probes then?

The neon tells you NOTHING apart from the fact that there is sufficient voltage at an indeterminate current to make it strike.

Which is exactly you want to know

You could argue all day over the potential safety issues, but the fact remains that they are considered "safe" and are sold under current legislation. However, I think it's definitely better to consign them to the bin.

You have not given one good reason why.

if I an looking for a sparky to come round and make my house safe, I think i will go with the chaps who have the GS38 approved test kit

Let me relate two incidents, both from the last week.

Story 1

On Friday I ran out of petrol (thanks to the digital instrument in my car that tells you how many miles you have left - it said 23) Had to walk two miles to a filling station in freezing fog, armed with a stout plastic Castrol oil can I found in the boot. Tried to fill the container but was assaulted by a hatchet-faced woman screeching "You can't use that, it's illegal. Helf and sayftee..." Asked her why, she said it has to be a can built to BS 1234 (or whatever). She sold me a horrible green plastic can that looked more frail than the Castrol bottle. It cost more than the petrol. After being shrieked at by another woman who didn't believe I had a "proper can" when I tried to fill it, I was yelled at again by another woman when I went to pay because I had tried to enter the shop carrying a petrol can. There's how Helf and Sayftee is binding us together as a society.

The best bit was trying to refill the car (after a two-mile uphill slog carrying a gallon of petrol). Such was the design of the BS 1234 can, no petrol would come out unless I shook it hard with the tip of the spout an inch into the filler hole - sending a torrent of flammable spirit down my trousers with each shake. For all its credentials, it had no breather tube up the spout.

Story 2

Visited friends who have kids and a dog. One of the boys came running in with a football smeared with dog sh1t. "Mummy, it's horrible... can you clean it?"

So what did she do? Squirted it with some overpriced kitchen product that "kills 99% of all known germs" and returned it to him. The slogan was enough to satisfy her, yet the ball was still covered in turd. All it needed was a good blast with the garden hose - but to her it would have been dirty because Proctor and Gamble were not at her side.

So there we have it. Don't believe in slogans, don't trust British Standards. Read books... find what you can on the internet... learn about the behaviour of electrons, the properties of conductors and insulators... the wonderful world around us... and THINK. The rest will just fall into place.

So hows the accident rate for garden landscapers compared to electricians? Every now and then we hear about someone who managed to chainsaw their own leg off. Big heavy things always cause accidents.

ban-all-sheds said:
Tony6 said:
The point being if you had a faulty earth and a fault to earth occurred as you were testing the circuit with a neon the chances of a shock are far greater.

Thats it!
ban all sheds

:D PLEASE EXPLAIN

No - that's b*ll*cks.....

breezer said:
shaggy said:
Where's breezer?
like a few others on here i change my "location" just for fun, but Christmas island seemed festive along with its holly logo
Me too, but is there enough room on this island for all of us?

Quote:

...the safety of the user depends entirely on the integrity of the current limiting resistor in the unit

Don't worry PaulAH, this is going to be as nothing when these "electricians" get their part P status and they also find out "...the safety of the user depends entirely on the integrity of the current limiting resistor" called "the insulation" in cables.

I used to live in a very dangerous house (this one) where I had done most of the wirng. It was dangerous because I did not have earth (oops, equipotential) bonding on the kitchen taps and metal sink and adjacent water pipes. It's all ok now though, I didn't have to do anything, they just changed the rules. :)

Ah, just the man I need. A long-haunting question.

About 10 years ago we had an extension built, which involved fitting new CH rads and moving some exisiting ones. The builders spend days fannying around under the floorboards, running earthing straps from each rad to a point I know not where. They went bust towards the end of the job and left most of them unconnected. I never bothered to do anything about it.

More recently we had an electrician round to install an electric shower and I asked him about these earth cables. He said not to worry about them - the regulations have changed, but he wouldn’t elaborate.

What’s going on here? I can’t understand why they were necessary in the first place. Earth-linking rads in different rooms is not the same as equipotential bonding. Perhaps the earth straps were supposed to be connected to an RCD or some kind of leakage detector - but the main board in this house has fuses, not circuit breakers.

And why, when the rads are already earthed by the best conductor imaginable - a stonking great tube of copper - did it need a second earth cable? Furthermore, what regulations changed to make them redundant?

Still alive to tell the tale.
Paul

PS Oilman. You did your own domestic wiring? Shame on you! How could you, a heating engineer, possibly understand the black art of electrics? ;) Send for the Fat Controller immediately.

PaulAH said:
Perhaps the earth straps were supposed to be connected to an RCD or some kind of leakage detector - but the main board in this house has fuses, not circuit breakers.
the earths do not get connected to an RCD. only the phase and neutral. the RCD detects the imbalance of current between phase and neutral, so if there is an earth fault, less power may be going thru the neutral and it will switch off

Damocles,
yep the accident rate is high, youll get no argument there, we all know how dangerous a chainsaw is if not used correctly, had one myself this year due to a slip of attention.(lucky escape only slightly damaged a finger, still no feeling in the tip!!) The point im trying to make is im absolutley gobsmacked at how often simple questions on the forum can produce such a plethora of results and different replies and arguments. I dont profess to understand more than the basics of electrics, but i do find myself scratching my head at how long some of the threads run and the multitude of differing opinions with little agreement. Im not saying its a bad thing im just amazed!

Thermo

Me too, I getting confused, if the neon tester screwdriver are that bad why aren't the HSE banning it from the shelves ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back