GPEDIT.msc issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Grrr. I love Bill Gates!

Trying to set up email on Win 8.1 using to existing Mail app.

Normally, you would have to use your MS account details, but with a bit of sorcery, you can enable the Group Policy Editor to allow you to set email using any details.

Trouble is, low-end versions of Windows 8.1 (including, dammit, mine) don't have GPEDIT.mse, so without going into the registry (which I'm not confident doing) I'm stuck!

Anybody got any ideas, please?

Sponsored Links
you will have to manually edit the registry I guess. I assume that you have another machine which you are tinkering around with gpedit? If so you can see what its changing by using process monitor which can be found here

Oh and should be in the software section, but you lnow that!

I am getting hold of a copy of Win 7 Pro to try and see what's what.

I am thinking along the lines of trying to copy that file across, but as to how and where, I think my tinkering with software days is over! :cry:

It's a shame, but Microsoft won't allow people to 'downgrade' from Windows 8 to Windows 7.

I know. I tried when my first wife got a new laptop some time ago.

Sponsored Links
You trying to set up mail via the mail App' ?

Just get on desktop, download your client preference install and set up -job done... Windows Live Mail is ok and free. No requirement to 'sign in' etc.

When up and running - go 'charms', to 'Start screen', click down arrow left lower screen, Now on 'Apps' Screen, actually shows all installed software by icon.
4 easily selectable sort methods,
By Name.
By Install date.
By most used.
By category.

The 'By category' will separate true Apps from normal applications, see all your normally installed progs here neatly listed in useful ways.

'8' Just is not that bad, approach with 'can do' mentality, there may be another Win due, but I'll bet the 'Apps' will not go away, finger poking is here to stay... for a while :D

Some of my App's by Cat' note layout, see Mail App (unused) and Live Mail icon which I use.

-0-

Thanks, pip.

That's what I ended up doing, installing Live Mail.

I wanted to beat the system and do a workaround, but that will do nicely.

Hokay, when up and running in Live Mail.
Select 'File' : 'Export Mail' : Can export all mail to a safe place as a backup, also (for each) account, details - set up values.
All that stuff can be imported easily - following recovery of a file losing system failure.

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back