Can't download emails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had my freeserve address for many years, and have never had any problems downloading emails to Outlook Express (whether it's been FS, wanadoo or orange), until now!

I've just had to have my hard drive re formatted, and now OE won't download emails. I've been through the Orange help pages, triple checked that all the settings, etc are correct, but each time I try to get my emails I'm asked to enter my user name and password in a pop up box (this never used to happen). I enter the correct details, but then get an error saying:

"There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'Tim', Server: 'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Invalid login/password pair', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92"

The only way I can access my emails is now by logging on via the Orange home page (using exactly the same details as I enter into OE) and reading them online.

Any advice please!

Sponsored Links
does your incoming email server require a secure connection(SSL)? have you ticked the box if so in your email account settings and have you put the correct port numbers in the boxes? check again with your ISP that all the details ARE correct.

i had a similar problem.

all seetings were correct, it turned out it was OE that had the error, i did a system restore and now all ok.

although you did say you have just formatted your hd, it may be something added after oe has "corupeted it"

annoying thing was, it was only some of the email accounts that gave trouble

i did find the various bits and bobs useful here

Thanks, but I've checked, checked and double checked all the settings with no success!!

Sponsored Links
It's like the blind leading the blind here sometimes. :rolleyes:

Which version of Windows, and which version of Outlook Express are you using?

Assuming that have the latest Microsoft Updates, I would contact Orange firstly, to check whether at some point you used up your failed connection attempts quota, which can result in suspending your account temporarily.

This is unlikely to be the cause, because you say that you can retrieve messages using Webmail, but I would still call them.

If that doesn't yield anything, then uninstall/reboot/reinstall Outlook Express.

If that doesn't work, then uninstall/reboot/reinstall Internet Explorer.

Edit: I've just remembered another (faint) possibility - POP3 protocol corruption within the TCP/IP stack. To reset TCP/IP following the instructions here.

Back