Grasslin timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know nothing
I had an electrician fit a 24 hr Grasslin 16a 24 hour Immersion Timeswitch to
Control 7 outside lights
The timer initially switches the lights on at the right time and then off correctly and then back on at the correct time.But,after that the lights are on permanently.Also the control switch does not make any difference if put in the constant or off position,
Have gone through 3 timers and one electrician.The timer is not the problem unless it should not be used for this purpose
Frustrated and inept houseowner

:cry:

Sponsored Links
.Also the control switch does not make any difference if put in the constant or off position,
Do you mean the lights stay on regardless of the position of the switch?

This purpose makes no difference to the timer; it's just a switch.

There used to be a light sensor but this was disconnected years ago and lights have worked on timer for 5 years since then
Also the switch I am talking about is the one on the timer which has 3 positions
Permanently on
permanent off and timer which is in the centre
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Also the switch I am talking about is the one on the timer which has 3 positions
Permanently on ... permanent off .... and timer which is in the centre
If you're saying that, after the second timed turn-on, the lights remain on even if you move that switch to the 'permanently off' position, then there is something fundamentally wrong with either the timer (seems unlikely, if you've tried 3) or the wiring (which seems hard to understand, if the first on/off cycle works properly) ... so mysterious! Does the initial 'on' switching (by timer) still work if it is switched to 'permanently off'?

Kind Regards, John

There is a switch next to the timer
When this is off the timer does not work and the lights go out
This is how i am controlling the lights at present
Manually so to speak
Thanks

There is a switch next to the timer When this is off the timer does not work and the lights go out ... This is how i am controlling the lights at present ... Manually so to speak
Fair enough - that makes sense. However, I was talking about the 3-position switch on the timer that you mentioned.

Kind Regards, John

That switch which has 3 positions does not make any difference
The lights stay on
If I turn the dial round a full 24h the lights do no go on and off.
Basically from a lay mans point of view the timer does nothing
It is as if something has rendered the timer useless
I tried reading the installation instructions and it does say something about a bridge wire?and in some instances you have to remove it
Is this applicable in this case
Regards Graham

If I turn the dial round a full 24h the lights do no go on and off.
Basically from a lay mans point of view the timer does nothing
It is as if something has rendered the timer useless
That would appear to be the case.

I tried reading the installation instructions and it does say something about a bridge wire?and in some instances you have to remove it
Is this applicable in this case
No.

That switch which has 3 positions does not make any difference ... The lights stay on
I'm a but confused because you initially wrote:
The timer initially switches the lights on at the right time and then off correctly and then back on at the correct time.
Is that no longer the case?
If I turn the dial round a full 24h the lights do no go on and off. Basically from a lay mans point of view the timer does nothing ... It is as if something has rendered the timer useless
If it had never worked at all (in controlling the lights), then an alternative explanation (particularly as you have apparently tried 3 times, with the same results) would be that it has been wired in such a way that it is an irrelevance as far as whether the lights are on or off. However, if the quote above from your initial post is correct, then that can't be the case.
I tried reading the installation instructions and it does say something about a bridge wire?and in some instances you have to remove it ... Is this applicable in this case
As EFLI said, probably not, but would it be possible for you to post a photo or scan of that bit of the instructions?

Kind Regards, John

If I turn the dial round a full 24h the lights do no go on and off. Basically from a lay mans point of view the timer does nothing. It is as if something has rendered the timer useless
That would appear to be the case.
I tried reading the installation instructions and it does say something about a bridge wire?and in some instances you have to remove it Is this applicable in this case
No.
... unless, somehow, a link/bridge has found itself between L-in and L-out of the timer - which would explain most of what the OP is now describing (although not the 'initial on/off working OK', as was reported in the OP).

Kind Regards, John

This is why I often recomend using the timer to switch a contacter rather thaln the load of the lights.
Im quessing after a couple of cycles the contacts are welding shut due to the amount of, or type of load

This is why I often recommend using the timer to switch a contacter rather than the load of the lights.
I'm guessing after a couple of cycles the contacts are welding shut due to the amount of, or type of load

May be if not following the rules, but maximum wattage for outside lamp without planning permission is 150W times 7 that's 1050W and the timer rated at 3680W so would seem strange that any set of 7 lamps under 150W each could over load the device.

Having said that RS advert clearly states "Not suitable for discharge lighting".

Does the timer keep to the correct time ? Or does it stop turning at some time ? Maybe the supply to the motor has been wired to the switched output instead of the permanent mains supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back