Grasslin timer

Sounds like a large inductive loads frying the contacts closed, or a fault somewhere causing a fault current which is frying the contacts together (you would then get a blown fuse or trip gone).

Sponsored Links
Hello again
Timer is working
A few time s in the past the lights (pretty sure its them) have tripped the circuit after bad weather but non of the lights needed replacing,they were all still working
Is it possible there is some sort of surge that is knocking out the timer
Also if this is damaging the timer is it permanent

So what lights are fitted. Is it a small 40W tungsten bulb or a massive 1500W flood lamp? Or something in between?

The timer is clearly designed for a 16A resistive load with an inductive load it could cause arcing. I do find the grouping together of all florescent as being inductive or all tungsten as resistive rather blinkered as with a HF ballast a florescent is more like a resistive load and 12 volt tungsten with a non electronic transformer is more like an inductive load.

Clearly with LED it could be either but the current would be that low I would not think there would be a problem. I have used mechanical timers for years without problems so I think there is some thing lost here in the telling of the tail?

Well
Most of that went over my head
There are seven outside lights
2 led brick lights which I have just had put in to replace the old ones as I thought they may be leaking but the problem was there before
5 energy saving screw fitting bulbs I think they are 11 and what I call curly to look at
Regards
Graham

Sponsored Links
Does the timer keep to the correct time ? Or does it stop turning at some time ? Maybe the supply to the motor has been wired to the switched output instead of the permanent mains supply.
We have been told that the lights now do not go on and off even if the dial is rotated through 24h manually. It seems that either the contacts of the timer (3 timers!) are not working (faulty or welded) or there is something fundamentally wrong with the wiring.

Kind Regards, John

Timer is working
Do you mean that everything is now working 'as intended'? I presume you didn't 'do anything' to result in a change?
There are seven outside lights ... 2 led brick lights which I have just had put in to replace the old ones as I thought they may be leaking but the problem was there before 5 energy saving screw fitting bulbs I think they are 11 and what I call curly to look at
That's certainly not enough to do any harm to the timer.

Kind Regards, John

No sorry
I was asked in previous post if the timer was working as in keeping the correct time
It was a reply to that.the timer is functioning as a clock but does not switch on and off
I did ask if the timer is"welded" is it permanently damaged and is there a way i can find out if this has happened

No sorry ... I was asked in previous post if the timer was working as in keeping the correct time ... It was a reply to that.the timer is functioning as a clock but does not switch on and off
OK - I misunderstood.
I did ask if the timer is"welded" is it permanently damaged and is there a way i can find out if this has happened
With such a relatively small load (and the lights all working), I find it very hard to believe that the contacts could have got welded in one timer, let alone three.

You mentioned the "3-position switch" on the timer. Do I take it that the lights still remain on even if you switch that to the 'permanently off' position?

With test equipment, it would be easy to investigate this problem. In the absence of test equipment, I think what I would probably do would be to completely disconnect everything from the 'output' terminals of the timer and, instead, temporarily connect just a lamp of some sort to those terminals. If the same problem persisted (in terms of that lamp being permanently 'on', regardless of what the timer was doing), that would at least mean that the problem related to the timer, rather than the wiring - and then one could move on from there.

Kind Regards, John

Yes the lights remain on no matter what position the timer switch is at
Will get an electrician to try what you suggest by connecting a separate simple device to isolate the problem
Many thanks for your help

Kind regards
Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back