gravel on a slope

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by larco, 25 Jan 2011.

1. larco

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have a 30 to 45 degree slope in my garden covered in moss.
    It is a pain to mantain.

I also have a tonne of golden gravel 20mm available. I was wondering if i could put this over the slope covering the moss.

I would place a weed membrane over the moss and cover it with a mesh / netting. The purpose of the mesh is to stop the first layer of gravel from rolling off.
    Then I would put more gravel.

Is this feasible?

Thanks

2. ursamajor

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Must admit I'd be inclined (pardon the pun) to lay a weak dry mortar mix of say 8 sharp sand to 1 cement over the membrane and press the gravel into it as a key for the subsequent layer, instead of the mesh.

3. intercityuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The trouble is it sounds like it's quite steep. I am going to put gravel on my drive but iam going to use a rienforcement that comes in squares and snaps together this is layed on sharp sand (40mm) then you put the gravel in it. Otherwise the gravel will go everywhere. Iam using a product called Hebden 40 made from recycled plastic its a little expensive but you need something to hold the gravel in place. Google hebden 40 and have a look they also sell it on ebay.

good luck

4. Richard C

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. hillw

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have seen a honeycomb covering before, not sure where you get it from but it was on a steep drive and seemed to hold the gravel ok.
    It was a rubber I think and the honeycombes were about 80mm across.