Gravity Hot Water System

Sponsored Links
This could either be a blocked cold feed pipe from the f& e tank or air locked pipes although sound like he took the thermostat phial to to boil the boiler and try and shift air. It's probably best to get him to get into the feed pipe first to see if its blocked.

hes right in saying it might not solve the problem, if there is a blockage and its not in the circuit then power fle=ushing wont shift it. First thing is to check if the cold feed is clear, this sometimes involves cutting into it to physically check for blockages. common places are where it joins onto the piping at the cylinder or at any bends. Messy job and one that if your lucky you go to the right place first if not you just keep going till you find it!

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of the hot cylinder and the boiler :idea: .Unusual for a gravity circuit to stop - unless it`s 22mm and should be 28

That looks like a 22mm cold feed with 28mm flow and return. and would be unusual to be blocked, but if the tank in the loft is full, it needs to be confirmed to be clear. In any case, if boiling up won't get it started, then the cyl may have to be disconnected to check that the coil outlet is not blocked. No offence, but that system needs some TLC and a cylinder jacket.

Cheers. Yes, the plumber ripped apart the jacket etc to get into the cylinder.
The pipe feeding into the cylinder is lukewarm up to the tee, but water still cold ie not heated. Driving me nuts!

I had a similar problem a few years ago. I traced this to a blocked outlet from the header tank in the loft caused by a load of muck in the tank. The water in the gravity feed circuit had dropped below the return feed from the coil so the boiler was trying to heat the water but was not receiving anything via the return circuit. It was therefore shutting off on the boiler stat as the heated water had nowhere to go.

Solution was to siphon out the header tank and then use a wet vac to clear all the remaining debris. Unblock the feed pipe but be careful not to push the blockage further down the pipe. Refill and hopefully all will be well.

Hope this helps.

I had a similar problem a few years ago. I traced this to a blocked outlet from the header tank in the loft caused by a load of muck in the tank. Hope this helps.
Good point :idea: Could even be a lump of fibreglass lagging from a badly fitted lagging jacket on the feed/expansion tank - exactly what happened on the Rayburn I recently connected , but I cut the feed and got it out before it got into the primaries , and no it wasn`t visible in the tank it had already crept into the feed pipe some way down - chewed by mice :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back