Great News

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cameron today announced a campaign to fight against the vested interests that hold back the UK.... AMEN ... at last!

So, is this the moment to re-launch the campaign to remove the ridiculous
Part P and other ridiculous restrictions on really and totally free trade and growth that the country needs?

Just as we must reject the ability of the Bankers to rip us off, why not move to reduce the profiteering claims of other self-promoting groups.

Now is the time to push back on the years of Labour severely over-regulation.

Hertsman

Sponsored Links
The issue is that this country is held back by vested interests: Bankers Oxbridge etc.

But the truth is that we are held back by web of other interests & trivial rules:.
Examples:
1: Recent house purchase forms for a friend "Was everything inspected post 2002 (or whatever), were any electrics done after... etc etc.."

"P888-off" buy it if you want it or go away. The guy bought anyway.

2: Who looks at energy surveys if they want the house, 'cos fixing it cost pennies compared with the cost of the house itself!

3. Rip-off contractors who insist on scaffolding to do jobs, quoting H&S while being in collusion with scaffolding Cos to rip of innocents.

AND MUCH MUCH MORE
The protection of the crooks in the City of London must go and the laws passed by Blair and his cronies must be repealed too.
Bliar & Brown loved protection of their mates....... Now is the time to end all these scams!
Herstman

While I disagree with the current approach which prices honest competent people out of doing DIY, reasonable levels of regulation are fairly important.

You seem to be suffering from paranoia and an inferiority complex.

This country is held back by nine hundred years of feudalism.

Whether Blair/Brown or Cameron/Clegg it makes very little difference.

Sponsored Links
Part P and other ridiculous restrictions on really and totally free trade and growth that the country needs?
All that Part P requires is that reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

Would you please explain why you think that it's ridiculous that the work people do on electrical installations in homes should be required to be reasonably safe?

And would you please explain why you think that allowing people to do dangerous electrical work would assist the growth that the country needs.

In both cases, reasoned arguments would be useful, along with a quantisation of costs and benefits which are both credible and supported by independent analyses carried out by people or organisations with respected and relevant expertise.

You should be able to do that, surely? Unless, of course, what you've posted here are just the ravings of an ignorant fool who is severely hard of thinking.

Just as we must reject the ability of the Bankers to rip us off, why not move to reduce the profiteering claims of other self-promoting groups.
You can reject all you like.

I'd like to reject your ability to clog up this forum with your stupid ramblings, but I don't suppose my desire will have any more practical effect than your desire to reject the ability of bankers to rip us off.

Now is the time to push back on the years of Labour severely over-regulation.
Would you be interested in the fact that the process which led to the idea of Part P, and the consultation document for it being issued, kicked off in response to the Construction Industry Deregulation Task Force’s 1995 report which recommended amongst other things that the Building Regulations should address electrical safety and that the administrative burden on builders should be rationalised? And that the Government at the time (led by a chap called Major, who was not, I believe, a Labour politician) responded to these recommendations by agreeing to review the case for new requirements and how they might best be practically introduced?

No, I thought not.

The issue is that this country is held back by vested interests: Bankers Oxbridge etc.
That's a well though out, cohesive, and convincingly made case for an alternative economic system. I salute you.

But the truth is that we are held back by web of other interests & trivial rules:.
Examples:
1: Recent house purchase forms for a friend "Was everything inspected post 2002 (or whatever), were any electrics done after... etc etc.."
"2002 (or whatever)".

That says it all.

You have so little intellectual ability that you neither know, nor care, nor even realise that you don't know, about the things you are bleating about here.

2: Who looks at energy surveys if they want the house, 'cos fixing it cost pennies compared with the cost of the house itself!
Being in the middle of such an issue right now I can assure you that fixing the U-values of non-cavity 9" brick walls does not cost pennies.

3. Rip-off contractors who insist on scaffolding to do jobs, quoting H&S while being in collusion with scaffolding Cos to rip of innocents.
Is that somehow related to Part P and banking, or have the cogs slipped again in what is supposed to pass for (but doesn't come anywhere near) your brain?

AND MUCH MUCH MORE
Dear god I hope not.

The protection of the crooks in the City of London must go and the laws passed by Blair and his cronies must be repealed too.
What, all of them?

I assume that you can provide a complete list of all the laws, and for each one you can put up a rational and intelligent argument for why it must be repealed. That would be a reasonable thing to ask of someone making a post like yours, but I wonder if I am wrong to expect you to be capable of reasonable behaviour.

Am I wrong to assume that you can provide a complete list, etc?

Should I instead assume that you are an utter ***t?

Bliar & Brown loved protection of their mates....... Now is the time to end all these scams!
Herstman
Would asking for a list of such scams, accompanied by a cogent explanation of why each one is a scam, produce a worthwhile response from you?

Or are you just a waste of space?

Cameron today announced a campaign to fight against the vested interests that hold back the UK.... AMEN ... at last!

The problem is that by far the biggest vested interest which holds back the U.K. is H.M. Government - And that goes for both the present and previous flavors, not that there seems to be much to choose between them any more.

All that Part P requires is that reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

Would you please explain why you think that it's ridiculous that the work people do on electrical installations in homes should be required to be reasonably safe?

Yes, that's all that Part P itself requires, but as you know full well, that's not the whole story, because doing that work legally now entails paying fees to local authorities and in many cases getting involved with local bureaucrats who try to impose conditions which aren't actually requirements.

It's certainly ridiculous to demand that somebody pays anything from £100 to £250 or more to the local authority to do a £25 DIY job on his own house. Or as in the case mentioned in a recent thread, over £400.

Yes, that's all that Part P itself requires, but as you know full well, that's not the whole story, because doing that work legally now entails paying fees to local authorities and in many cases getting involved with local bureaucrats who try to impose conditions which aren't actually requirements.

It's certainly ridiculous to demand that somebody pays anything from £100 to £250 or more to the local authority to do a £25 DIY job on his own house. Or as in the case mentioned in a recent thread, over £400.

I agree, it should not cost more to do a DIY job than it does to hire a professional electrician to do the same job. It should be possible to submit a design for approval and then test results in writing, and undertake the work at one's own risk.

Harsh as it may sound, I'd rather see an extra dozen fools electrocute themselves every year or burn their houses down, than have my own freedom curtailed. It is unlikely that those who would lie on their design and test paperwork would be the ones currently notifying for notifiable work in any case. Rules only affect the law abiding, they should be designed with that in mind.

This country is held back by nine hundred years of feudalism.

Whether Blair/Brown or Cameron/Clegg it makes very little difference.

"If I'm design'd yon lordling's slave,
By Nature's law design'd,
Why was an independent wish
E'er planted in my mind?
If not, why am I subject to
His cruelty, or scorn?
Or why has man the will and pow'r
To make his fellow mourn?

Just returned from the hospital and felt this was appropriate

Part P

Part O is holding back the UK?? Really? Will you be voting that all building regulations are ditched and we can just hope that the water we drink is clean, the house we live in will stand up, the toilets we flush will take the foul water away and the wiring and gas installations within these properties not be fatally dangerous?? D!ckhead

Part P

Part O is holding back the UK?? Really? Will you be voting that all building regulations are ditched and we can just hope that the water we drink is clean, the house we live in will stand up, the toilets we flush will take the foul water away and the wiring and gas installations within these properties not be fatally dangerous?? D!ckhead

is the water we drink clean.....

will our houses stand up for a hundred years....

does the toilets flush away all the foul water...

and is every gas or electrical installation safe....

what a ****......

So, is this the moment to re-launch the campaign to remove the ridiculous Part P and other ridiculous restrictions
Not going to happen, and the opposite is fairly likely.

Just as we must reject the ability of the Bankers to rip us off
Banks may have caused problems, but the real mess was caused when the government decided to spend billions in an attempt to prevent banks from failing. The likes of Northern Rock and those which followed should have been left to crash and burn.

why not move to reduce the profiteering claims of other self-promoting groups.
Capitalism requires profiteering. If you don't like this, you know where to move to.

No it also requires that we either use an electrician who is a member of an expensive scheme (which does little to ensure actual competence due to the existance of these "wonder courses") or pay for an overpriced inspection from a building control department who don't understand electrics either.

Also in practice afaict it doesn't just have to be safe you also have to convince the numpty at building control that it is safe (which is FAR from the same thing).

The problem with Part P is the LABC charge more for inspecting a job then it costs to do the work. Where a single site visit is all that is required and the visit is less than 1/2 an hour then to charge over £100 is crazy.

The idea is great but the charges are silly. Should be charged per visit plus time so where a job is done right and one visit is all that is required it has a £25 charge but if people get it wrong then they should pay for each return visit in same way as taking a car for an MOT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back