Green tinge to picture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an LG RZ-32LZ55 Lcd tv and the picture has a green tinge to certain colours on the screen, whats wrong? can it be repaired and is it worth getting repaired?

cheers for any help

Chris

Sponsored Links
Is that answer supposed to be funny?
It's a perfectly serious and valid suggestion...but not one for the faint hearted.

To a greater or lesser degree all TVs have a colour cast which means they don't reproduce colour correctly. It's usually done to make the set look more impressive on a shop floor. The colour cast is usually towards blue, and it affects mostly the lighter parts of the picture.

At the darker end of the spectrum there could be excessive blue, green or red. On the worst examples I've seen all three shades at different brightness levels.

The reason I know this stuff is that I colour calibrate TVs and projectors for a living. I have a light sensor and computer program that records the colour variations at a range of different brightness levels, and then helps me see the effects of changes to the colour settings. The end result is a TV that reproduces colour much more faithfully than is possible with a preset or a bit of DIY tweaking.

What can you do with your TV....
1) You could trawl the net to see if someone has posted "recommended" settings for your TV. It's not something I would personally recommend, but unless you have a spare £250-£300 to get an ISF calibrator in to work on your TV then it's probably your best hope.

2) You could try using a test disc with a correct and neutral grey scale pattern and attempt some minor tweaks to get rid of the worst of the effect. You should invest £15-£20 in one of the Digital Video Essentials disc for this. There's a standard DVD and also a Blu-ray version. Have a look on Amazon or Play.com The advice I'd offer here is threefold...

i. Don't cheap out and think you can make these tweaks using a film or TV program. There won't be the correct image content in anything other than a test disc, and you won't know how much emphasis has been placed on certain colours for artistic effect, so the results could be a TV that looks better with one film but worse with everything else.

ii. Write down all of the settings before you start. It'll be the only way you can set things back if you screw up. Don't rely on a Factory Reset to get you out of trouble. It will often erase ALL the settings and leave you a pile of junk.

iii. Be aware that your eyes constantly adjust to new colour as you are making changes. I've seen TVs where a customer has made changes by eye and it looks worse than when they started. Your eyes will do the same. Take a break for 10 minutes and go out in daylight. When you come back if you find the picture excessively tinted then you know it's wrong. This is one of the most important reasons why professional calibrators rely on measuring equipment and not working by eye.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Have you been looking at the screen whilst wearing a pair of these?

young-children-colorful-beach-sunglasses-with-green-lens-xs0012080528c.jpg

I appologise to Jonb but as you can see some people like to have a laugh, hence the green glasses.

When I go into the picture menu I can only adjust the colour by taking it up and down and this changes all the colours,as with the contrast and sharpness are you telling me I can adjust each colour individually?.....how do i do this?

The TV has worked fine for 3 years so why have I now got this green tinge, I don't think anybody has gone into the menu and made adjustments to anything.

Thanks for all help.

TV colour does alter over time. As the set wears then the colour of the backlight changes, and components go out of tolerance. It's likely that something involved in the drive circuits for your TV has altered enough to cause this change.

Colour adjustments to the Red Green Blue drives used to be buried in the engineer's service menu. With some TVs they still are. But increasingly the settings are available at customer level. It does vary from model to model, so have a look at your user manual (or download a copy at LG.com/uk) and see if it is available in one of the menus of your TV.

If the only way to get to colour adjustments is via the engineer's service menu then I'd say don't mess with it unless you know absolutely for sure what you are doing. The hidden menus aren't meant for end consumers. The menu items have cryptic names and it's not always apparent what they do.

Regards

Chris

Is this happening with the internal tuner/s or with an external source i.e. Sky/PVR/DVD etc?

Thanks Chris frost for all your help. I want to use the tv only through the scart socket, and both AV1 and AV2 give me the same green tinge, if it is the driver as you say do you think it's worth getting repaired or should I bin it.

Cheers all

As much as I hate to see an otherwise OK set get scrapped, my gut reaction is cut your losses and move on. Just getting an estimate is going to be £50-£80. A repair could be £200+. When new 32" sets start at £300 then it just doesn't make sense to repair what was an entry level TV.

Reason I asked is my PVR set to interlaced RGB (scart), when slightly dislodged at one end gives the same green tinge to my Panny plasma.
So I'd check that there are no pins pushed back in each plug & make sure both ends are pushed fully home in the sockets before writing the set off.
Or, you could always ignore me - only trying to help.

Thanks for all your help gents, I'll try what gman76 said and let you know.

Cheers

My gut instinct would be the Scart cable or socket on whatever it is you have it connected to.

The reason being Scart cables have a tendency to dislodge themselves from the socket due to the weight of the cable, and due to the positioning of the pins this will tend to cause the picture to go green rather than any colour.

Could be a bad connection, a bent pin, or even a damaged cable or Scart socket. As such I'd replace the cable, and plug in another DVD player or something to rule both of these out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back