Greenstar 24ri hooked up with Drayton Tempus 3 HW yes CH no

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time on list and I have checked for previous threads on this so apologies if this is already been covered somewhere.

I have an extension with a new boiler a Wochester Bosch Greenstar24 Ri. (2007).

The thermostatic system is a Drayton Tempus 3 that came with the original house.

Everything fine until this winter, the outlet pipe froze but recognised the problem and cleared. So far ok.

Tonight the weather was chilly but no frost, but the CH would not fire up. The HW goes fine and everything works.

If I run the CH, it looks like it will start, the thermostat clicks over, but the boiler will not fire up no green ignition light.

I change over to HW and everything does as it should, click over boiler fires up and the green ignition light goes on and stays on.

Any ideas on the problem? There is no fault code on the boiler.

Could the problem be with the Drayton Tempus three sytem? If so, where is it? The HW works, but not the CH.

Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to replace the Drayton or is there something wrong between the boiler and the drayton? If so, where? As this has worked for over 3 years.

Sponsored Links
What kind of system do you have? Mid position or zone valves? Sounds like the microswitch in the actuator isn't making. Simple to fix, you don't need a new boiler or clock

Andy,
I am in over my head. I would not know the difference. I am assuming that I have zone valves.

The plumber came out, as we have small children, and said the fan needed to be replaced. The ignition start process was doing all the right steps up and until the fan was required. At that point, it would not work.

Now, six weeks later, the boiler started to make a loud gurgling noise (as if the water inside was boiling like a kettle). The hot water worked as did the heating. However, tonight the noise has gone from a gurgling to a loud banging as if it is going to explode from the thumping and banging like it is going to come off the wall.

Any help would be appreciated as I am hesitant to return to the plumber in the first place in part because if the problem was not the fan in the first place, why replace the fan, and if they failed to do work needed to avoid this problem ie did the system need repressurising ( i am assuming we are not a pressurised system) or if the radiators needed to be bled he should have told us to do that.

Sponsored Links
Hi

It doesn't sound like you know enough about your system for me to give any acurate advice but what I can say is the banging noises you describe are typically associated with a pump problem, or blockage/restriction around the pipework. These are the first things i'd be looking at.

A gurgling noise may be a blocked condensate pipe (external to boiler) or a blocked condense trap/siphon (within the boiler)

If your plumber replaced the fan and fixed the problem for six weeks, maybe this time it's a completely different fault and his repair was genuine.

(your plumber should be Gas Safe registered to have replaced the fan)

Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back