Greenstar 28i issues with H/W.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello: any advice on below gratefully recieved. I am not a heating engineer but ok at fixing/have some experience/competance.

Our Greenstar 28i has been running fine up until some recent water system tinkering due to saniflo issue (!).

1. Poor H/W pressure.
2. Upstairs shower not triggering H/w from bolier.
3. Have been activating shower by running downstairs bath tap to get Hot through, then turning on shower upstairs and off downstairs.
4. Part 3. has got us through the last week or too, but now its reluctant to produce H/W at all.

C/H all fine.
Only way to produce hot water now is to run boiler in service mode (full blast) with H/W running, this seems to allow H/W through to shower.

Advice:
a) does this sound like a diverter valve issue (needing a clean or replace)
b) more like an airlock issue of some sort.
C) something else like the flow turbine (??) or similar.

All lights/fault lights normal.
Have tried switching off for overnight/reset button but no joy on restart.

Switching off 'Eco' function worked a bit, but only gave short burst of hot water, boiler did not kick in 'on demand'.

Have read all postings I can find but would like specific advice/confirmation if possible.

would like some pointers before I take case off.
would like to have a go before engineer called out (totally totally broke!)

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Sponsored Links
You have obviously done something to reduce the pressure to your boiler. Valves may not be fully open, you may have a filter in the cold supply to your boiler?. Either way retrace what you did and rectify the problem you caused.

you may have piped up your saniflo to the hot!

I dont want to speculate on this one to be honest because as they say a little knowledge is dangerous!

Your 3 suggestions are miles out! sorry

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback so far.

To clarify: have not replumbed anything, or done anything specific to reduce water pressure (or flow). Saniflo issue was a burnt out capacitor and I did nothing major to the water system apart from shut off main water supply. Problems did arise from this point on - as stated before - but I'm certain I've switched everything back on as normal.

Do you really mean pressure, or is it flow:
Good point: I think I mean flow, in that cold water 'flow' is normal, but hot is below this rate, significant difference is noted.

Your 3 suggestions are miles out! sorry - What do you suggest then??

BTW over the weekend I checked 'flow turbine' device and had a look at diverter motor and valve - all seemed clean and normal.

Tom

Which filter would that be? I took the 'cartridge' out from the housing and took it aprt and cleaned it (although it was not dirty). IS there an additional filter in that area?

Tom

ps - thanks for reply.

before you do anything else try to work the main stopcock open and shut a few times and recheck anything else you may opened/closed, the filter on the flow turbine is fairly obvious but I dont know if there are any others (I dont think there are but you never know).

ok thankyou. will try - are there any other methods for boosting/improving flow?

tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back