greenstar 28i water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi room, i wonder if any one can give advice on my combi water leak.
the worcester greenstar 28i junior has been fitted and working very well for 2 and a half years .yesterday morning after a shower i went out into my utility room where the boiler is wall mounted and discovered water was dripping quiet fast from the boiler , i turned off the electric supply to it and began to investigate.after removing the casing from the boiler i could see the problem a fine jet of water was coming from , now im just a layman so bear with me , the hard black plastic block that is attached to the heat exchanger near the bottom of the boiler to the right of the exchanger is the water pump i mention this for location only.
This black plastic block has about 3 copper pipes going into it which seem to be held in by clips that can be removed it also appears to be matted to the heat exchanger.
anyone know what this plastic part is and if so any idea how much to buy one and also is replacing it a d i y job or do i need an engineer out ?
Thanks for reading and any advice greatly welcome .

Sponsored Links
Pretty common fault due to Worcester usuing cheap plastics in their boilers despite charging the customer premium prices. :rolleyes:

Not exactly easy either. Id get a pro in if I were you

do you know what the part is called any any idea of its cost?what is involved in its replacment

Spare parts and numbers will be in the installation instructions which have "TO BE LEFT WITH THE USER" written on them, look see, phone local spares
outlet.

Sponsored Links
has any one changed one of these "plastic block "things before ? just im a bit hessitant to be ripped off by british gas fixed price squad again . just wanting to know if its possibale for a keen d i y man like me to tackle it .

has any one changed one of these "plastic block "things before ? just im a bit hessitant to be ripped off by british gas fixed price squad again . just wanting to know if its possibale for a keen d i y man like me to tackle it .

hardly a "rip off" if they fix it. :rolleyes:

its a flow unit. like said before its a common fault u should really have a limiting valve fitted on the cold inlet. the part itself can be abit of a fiddle but not impossible and roughly 20-30 mins to swap it, apart from the outer casing been part of the combustion chamber. the part is about 20 quid too and a standard charge would be about 60 quid

Nath

mr pedantic.....in every forum there is an arsehole who just wants to wind people up i guess your this forums arse hole, did it ever occur to you that if i had something which told me how to do it then i would do it ?Now why dont you trot off and scam some granny or something nice like play on the motorway,thank you .

any chance of a brief rundown of what to do please ...

The installation and servicing instructions could be found on the link Ive already given you. I doubt, though I havent checked, that it will give specific instructions on how to remove the actual part as its one that should never really need to be changed.

But seeing as you think all us plumbers including british gas are rip off merchants I cant be arsed to give any more info

firstly isolate the inlet which you have done already. now drain the heating you might have to isolate the flow and return and crack a nut on the flow and return place a bucket under neath or if you can then u could use the prv back of the pump you need to reach under the back right. then you will loosen the htg flow and hotwater flow nuts then pull the retaining pins then the two copper pipes will pull out. now there a locking clip which you have to press and twist up. after that remove the screw holding the unit to the boiler casing. then if i remember there one under the boiler. then the one holding it to the dhw he. now remove the bypass pipe clip and ease the unit by pulling down and forward. resassemble using some silicone grease on the rubbers o rings.

Nath

are you related to a certain mr moat by any chance mr perdantic ?you seem to have uncanny characterristics ie middle aged bully . now be a good lad son and jog on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back