Gripit Fixings

I've boarded out a wall in my kitchen, attached to which will be cupboards, cooker hood etc.

I filled in the areas between the battens with sheets of high-density chipboard and ply so as not to have to rely on any hollow wall fixings.

You can see the effect to the right on this photo:

rvqg.jpg

Sponsored Links
Interestingly, all of then show a similar strength under tension, and not a huge variation for cantilever loads. What they don't say for the cantilever tests is what vertical size the arm was. As you say, if fixing something that's got a large height, then you'll have a combination load with the top fixings predominantly under tension.
If they were 'true' cantilever tests, I suppose the vertical dimension of what was attached would be zero - i.e. they's just have a long bolt screwed into fixing and 'hang weights off it' at the desired distances from the wall.
For teh largest size, the loading drops from 90kg under shear, to just 20kg under tension (same for all sizes), and 25-30kg for cantilever fixings. It's interesting to compare the cantilever values between the largest and smallest sizes !
The cantilever figures at 50mm and 150mm are a bit bizarre, in that the 'second size' has substantially lower figures than the smallest size. The 'shear' figures are presumably as much a matter of the properties of the plasterboard than of the fitting - I presume they're not talking about any shearing within the fixing but, rather, of the whole fixing being pulled vertically downwards 'through the board' by the weight if whatever it's supporting.

Kind Regards, John

Well, I have used them, and they do work. The TV is happily fixed to the wall. I am confident the TV will remain on the wall - buts that's more because, due to gods grace, it turned out there was a piece of ply inside the wall, positioned for the AC unit, which came down low enough to catch the top two fixings!

I am glad I ordered more than I needed........as there are three now sitting on the sole plate inside the stud wall!

The retaining 'anti-rotation blades' do not hold the fixing too well when you (gently) go to screw the threaded M8 into the fixing. It is far too easy to knock the fixing into the wall, especially when you are fixing through something, and are almost blindly doing so.

I did use a brand new 25mm wood bit, and hole was very clean.

I still have several to use, and when I get the opportunity, I will use them again, and perhaps will have a better experience!

I received my free sample today, had to pay a surcharge at the post office for it as the 2nd class stamp didn't cover the postage :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Tried them and as long as you do not hit where the dab is they work fine
If you hit the dab the wings cannot open LOL

That would be careless and not good workmanship.

You should have been diligent and aware of the possibility.

That would be careless and not good workmanship.

You should have been diligent and aware of the possibility.

I was and that is why I used a small one :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kind of defeats the object of them though

And I really don't see them taking off if you have to drill each hole at least twice

I received my free sample today, had to pay a surcharge at the post office for it as the 2nd class stamp didn't cover the postage :LOL:

I also had to pay the surcharge on the postage, I complained to [email protected] and he credited £10 to my PayPal account as compensation for the 3 mile round trip to the post office and the £1.19 postage charge.

Kind of defeats the object of them though
In a way it does - but they are only designed for plasterboard with a gap behind which is too small for a better fixing - indeed, too small for them to fall down the back.
You wouldn't use them out of choice I don't think.

And I really don't see them taking off if you have to drill each hole at least twice
Isn't it more the other way round?
If you drill the usual hole for a normal plug or hollow wall anchor and then find you can't use either because of the gap size then you may have to make do with these.

Having said that, if the gap is that small then a large plug or short frame fixing could be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back