Groaning pipes - stops when tap turned on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last week, I've been getting a periodic groaning noise coming from our cold water pipes. When it happens, the kitchen tap starts to leak but this leaking stops when the groaning stops. I can also make it happen by flushing the toilet and then turning on a cold tap.

The noise is coming from the downstairs pipes, at least, that's where it is loudest. We are also on a shared water main, shared between three houses including ours.

Does any know what could be causing this? Most of the information I have found has been about groaning pipes when a tap is turned ON, but in our case, it stops when we turn on a tap.

Sponsored Links
Quarter turn taps by any chance? If yes, you need a new insert/cartridge to the kitchen sink tap.

+1 .... usually happens when you have substantial cold water pressure and it's a cheapish tap with worn ceramic valves, change both valves as the other one is probably close behind.

When it does it hold the tap, you'll feel it vibrating

Sponsored Links
Yes, quarter-turn tap. I'll take a look at the valves. Thanks for the replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back