Grommets and sharp edges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just had some rewiring work done to my kitchen. I did the prep chase work and am going to plaster in myself afterwards. I've complained about the wiring work as below standard as no grommets were used on any metal back boxes and sharp cut edges of galvanised capping were left resting against cables as they entered the back boxes etc.
The electrician said that there was no necessity for grommets and that the galvanised sharp edges posed no risk to the cables as plaster would cover everything. I stuck my ground and he has agreed to come and redo the work.
Am I right in believing the work to be poorly done ? (I realise regs don't specifically state grommets are required) Would this work pass a regs inspection as it stands ? Am I just being overly fussy ?

A professional tradesmans' view would be welcome.

Tony

Great forum by the way, I have made use of the search plenty times recently as a DIY er doing up our flat.[/url]

Sponsored Links
The electrician said that there was no necessity for grommets and that the galvanised sharp edges posed no risk to the cables as plaster would cover everything.

Or press the cable against the sharp edge and speed the damage to the cable

I wonder if he will cut the grommet to fit it without disconnecting the cable from the socket.

Another example of no pride in their work. Wonder how many who call themselves electricians are.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments.
It reassures me I wasn't being too much of an a***e customer.

AntonyH said:
I realise regs don't specifically state grommets are required

Maybe, but the regs state you have to installl equipment so as to protect it from any forseeable damage.

Just out of interest - anyone know if retro-fitting the grommets by cutting them would be acceptable?

Just out of interest - anyone know if retro-fitting the grommets by cutting them would be acceptable?

Old post, but I see no problem with a cut grommet as long as it affords the same protection against the sharp edge and is not likely to come out.

It's not ideal but would be acceptable imo, There is no reason not to fit them in the first place, they take less than a second to pop in.

a cut grommet is much more likely to come out, especially if anyone moves the cable or faceplate.

If the box has been plastered in, the plaster will tend to bulge through the hole and prevent chafing.

You might also consider sliding an offcut of conduit round the cable and into the hole.

Thanks for the comments.
It reassures me I wasn't being too much of an a***e customer.

Anthony, in my opinion you are not asking too much.
You have asked a professional to do a professional job, simple.
Metal back boxes and grommets go together like fish and chips.
Checking for grommets in back boxes was one of the items my Napit field officer looked for-
if they were missing- what else would be found.
Its good working practise, they cost pennies.
Regards
Mike.

I find the strip is more easily dislodged than whole grommets, because it has a cut in it. Some sides have bigger fins to try to make up for that.

However ths strip is shiny and does not "grip" on a pulling cable like a cut grommet does.

I've got this grommet strip (from senates I think) which is actually quite good, its quite tight and seems to stay in the hole/slot well.

Its about 6mm I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back