Ground floor problem - Bad slope!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've had a builder in to screed the ground floor (old victorian terrace) and basically there is a noticeable slope in the room. I have put a strait edge down and worked out that over a 2 metre run the floor is 35mm out. This by reading some forum stuff on here seems pretty bad. from left to right there were some depressions but these have been levelled out using levelling compound, from top to bottom though i can put a 2 metre strait edge from one side to the other and get my fingers underneath it.

What are my options? Would this be a problem putting a wooden floor down on this?

I feel physically sick at the thought of lifting the whole thing up as this would be major work however i want the job doing properly.

PLease help!!!

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sounds from what you say that your builders done a bad job. To lay a wood floor the variation must not be more than 2mm over a 1mtr run, so no you cannot lay wood YET. There are ways of levelling but for this degree I would advise using a proffesional. If you want more info on levelling look at ARDEX.

It's fairly common to have to screed over a concrete slab to get within the levels woodfloordisigns mentioned.
I would have the builder back to level the floor which is doable with just a sharp sand/cement screed.
You will also have to lay a DPM (damp proof membrane) before laying a water based levelling screed, assuming you are going to bully bond the flooring to the concrete.

Alternatively, use an engineered wood floor and a dpm underlay after levelling.

Sponsored Links
No i don't think i explained this properly.

The 35mm i mention is above the level of the kitchen which should be the level of the dining room floor. There would be no way of levelling as that would bring the whole floor 35mm above the kitchen floor and would leave a step.

i'm concerned that the whole floor may have to come up. I have placed a skirting board along the line of the floor and it is noticeable that there is a slope.
I'm not sure there is any other way really than to remove the whole floor again!

:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back