Grout discolouring in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya.

2 years ago I decorated the bathroom and tiled a new shower area. I used Unibond waterproof grout. After some time the grout around the shower went a dirty pink colour.

Last weekend I decided to redo the grout, scraped it out as far as the clean stuff and redid it. Now after only a few days some of the lines are going pink again.

What's causing this? How can I stop it? Should I be protecting it with something?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Sponsored Links
More than likely some kind of mould growth, we have an orange colour stain that freqently appears on our grout. Try cleaning with a bleach solution on a regular basis or use a proprietry mould and mildew remover.

we had that problem. I'm now retiling and using a waterproof grout with Microban built in.
That should solve the problem. not expoensive either if you by it in dry form.

we have a bit of a problem with the groat in the shower going a pink colour.... infact everything that has a water source goes a pink colour (sinks, bath, toilet ETc..) if we don't clean regularly - it's down to the minerals in our water......

nothing can be done except moving..... and we're working on that one :D

Sponsored Links
I probably should have tried cleaning it first - I don't suppose I had to re-grout it at all!

Oh well I'll give the mould and mildew remover a go. Thanks.

I have found Flash gel, with bleach, is excellent for cleaning grout, just rub in on with an old toothbrush, leave it for a time, then wash off.
Be sure to read the instructions on the label, as usual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back