How to remove grout?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps

Previous to my earlier thread about tiling over tiles, I have decided to keep the original tiles for the time being as they are a neutral colour (white) and should be in keeping with the new colour scheme. I have decided to smarten them up a bit by removing the old discoloured grout. However when I tried to scrape some of it out it wouldn't budge, it appears that the chap who installed the original tiles used tile cement instead of grout which is rock hard. So my question is this: how can I remove the ruddy stuff and what should I use and is it worth the effort?

PS I searched the forum for previous advice and found references to grout removal tools. Will these be any good for removing tile cement used as grout?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say "tile cement" I'm assuming you mean tile adhesive. I'm also assuming you're talking about wall tiles (with them being white).
It shouldn't really be that hard that you can't shift it with a carbide grout scraper though. Have you tried leaning on it a bit harder? ;)

Yes sorry I mean tile adhesive (wall tiles). I havent bought a proper tool yet and only used the end of a screwdriver so I'm assuming that the correct tool should shift it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back