growing up or growing old

Good lord, I'd never LIVE in London, I only work there 'cos they pay me more!! Incidentally I turned down Imperial, not 'cos of the quality of the course, but to my eyes anyway, it looked a complete dump :eek: could well have changed by now of course.

Sponsored Links
So Imperial College looked a dump? Would that be the Imperial College that is in arguably the most exclusive and beautiful part of London, surrounded by grand historic Victorian buildings? :LOL: Ah, strolling down Exhibition Road past the V&A, and the Science Museum. Turning left and nipping down to Harrods for bread and milk. Sinking a few cans by the Serpentine... Those were the days :LOL:

Seriously, I can appreciate what you mean, but they have spent £100Ms on "doing it up" in the last 10 years or so. The Union is now a thing of beauty, and when you walk past the Royal Albert Hall (where we had our graduation ceremony mwahaha!) you can see up the magnificent marble steps to the doors. Next time you are at the Science Museum take a look, you will be amazed at the difference. Unfortunately the Physics building (and a couple of others) is still a bit 1960s from the outside. And there is now a preservation order on that big ugly hall of residence.

Incidentally, Bristol was my second choice... but I chose brains over beauty ;)

Edwardo .... Ever get to Ashton Court Country Club or Redwood Lodge as now known ?
Over Clifton Susp bridge onto Failand about 3 miles from Clifton.

P

pipme said:
Edwardo .... Ever get to Ashton Court Country Club or Redwood Lodge as now known ?
Over Clifton Susp bridge onto Failand about 3 miles from Clifton.

P

Aston Court..... oh yes indeed, alledgedly one of the best places in the country to find magic mushrooms!! And the Clifton Suspension bride, truly a thing of beauty, even if you did have to pay 15p, in those days I think. The bridge looks spectacular from the balcony of the Avon Gorge hotel, well worth it.

Re Choosing between Imperial and Brissel.

1) I lived near London and there was a distinct possibility that I would have to commute from the parental home to university, very uncool.

2) As I said the facilities were very tatty and ancient, although I accept that this has probably changed now.

3) Female to Male ratio was shockingly bad at Imperial.

4) It was cold and raining when I went to Imperial and was sunny and warm when I went to Bristol..... no, it's important.

5) The sports facilities weren't anything like as good, although I accept that this has probably changed now.

6) I don't like London that much.

7) Did I mention that I don't like London?

Sponsored Links
Just remembered, Bristol was my second choice too! Just goes to show that a thing of beauty is a joy to behold :D Besides, the Wills memorial building is far nicer than the Albert Hall :D :D

Bris memories ....... Smythe Arms at A37 edge of Ashton Court. (there is an 'h' in our Ashton )

'Towns talk' motel .... en route to Bris Airport A38 ..... G a G night, Fridays, late 70's and probably beyond that !!

Wonderful views from top of Mendip Hills ... over Somerset flats to south taking in Glastonbury Tor and several hilly features .... Satisfies a need for the high ground !!

P

Eddie M said:
1) I lived near London and there was a distinct possibility that I would have to commute from the parental home to university, very uncool.

Nah, I lived 30 minutes' drive away but still got halls, twas grand.

2) As I said the facilities were very tatty and ancient, although I accept that this has probably changed now.

Tis now very good, I must say my experience of Bristol halls was not too good, obviously Uni's renovate on a long timecycle so when Bristol is good, Imperial is bad and vice versa!

I saw a girl there once, and she wasn't a lecturer! :LOL: I think they are up to a ratio of just 3 men to 1 woman, but some courses actually have more women than men! I brought my own. One of the things that attracted me to Bristol was the accent of the towny women, nice.

4) It was cold and raining when I went to Imperial and was sunny and warm when I went to Bristol..... no, it's important.
But in London it is always at least 1 degree warmer than the surroundings due to our smog. ;) Seriously, once I was riding down the A316 on that flyover near Hammersmith, a summer's day, 32 degrees, and the sky was yellow :eek:

5) The sports facilities weren't anything like as good, although I accept that this has probably changed now.
You can't have looked into this much! There is a great boathouse for rowing, a brilliant rugby pitch for rugby and football, a big swimming pool, a decent gym, tennis courts, Hyde Park for running and cycling. And they have "alternative" sports such as mountain climbing and juggling too. Only the pool and gym are "new", the rest has been there for many decades, albeit some of it is a few miles from the main campus.

PHILISTINE!!!! What's not to like? The only problem I had with it was there was too much to do! Rent stings a bit though: £100 a week when my mate in Sheffield was paying £20 :mad:

GAAAAAAGH!!!! PHILISTINE^2!!!!

Oooh, just remembered about the whole weather thing: I know a girl who lives in Bristol, and I mentioned something about going to the beach. She reckoned that the beaches around Bristol are rubbish... going to the beach was one thing I had in it's favour, I would have been disappointed. :mad:

Plus it removed any chance of seeing her in a bikini ;)

Eddie M said:

AdamW said:
Nah, I lived 30 minutes' drive away but still got halls, twas grand.

Even living in halls is seriously uncool.

Eddie M said:

AdamW said:
Tis now very good, I must say my experience of Bristol halls was not too good, obviously Uni's renovate on a long timecycle so when Bristol is good, Imperial is bad and vice versa!

See above.

Eddie M said:

AdamW said:
I saw a girl there once, and she wasn't a lecturer! :LOL: I think they are up to a ratio of just 3 men to 1 woman, but some courses actually have more women than men! I brought my own. One of the things that attracted me to Bristol was the accent of the towny women, nice.

Unfortunately when I went to Imperial, forensic gender identification was not that advanced. :LOL:

Eddie M said:

AdamW said:
But in London it is always at least 1 degree warmer than the surroundings due to our smog. ;) Seriously, once I was riding down the A316 on that flyover near Hammersmith, a summer's day, 32 degrees, and the sky was yellow :eek:

If it does that to the sky, think what it does to your lungs!!

Eddie M said:

AdamW said:
You can't have looked into this much! There is a great boathouse for rowing, a brilliant rugby pitch for rugby and football, a big swimming pool, a decent gym, tennis courts, Hyde Park for running and cycling. And they have "alternative" sports such as mountain climbing and juggling too. Only the pool and gym are "new", the rest has been there for many decades, albeit some of it is a few miles from the main campus.

Mountains, in London, sorry I missed 'em. One football and rugby pitch? Campus ? Pool and Gym are new, oh dear, oh dear

Eddie M said:

AdamW said:
PHILISTINE!!!! What's not to like? The only problem I had with it was there was too much to do! Rent stings a bit though: £100 a week when my mate in Sheffield was paying £20 :mad:

I paid £60 a month ! Mind you that was back in 1846.

Eddie M said:
AdamW said:
GAAAAAAGH!!!! PHILISTINE^2!!!!

Vile place. :LOL:

SHORT TEST for you college boys
Take your time and see if you can read each line aloud with out a mistake. The average person can't.

This is this cat

This is is cat

This is how cat

This is to cat

This is keep cat

This is a cat

This is person cat

This is busy cat

This is for cat

This is forty cat

This is seconds cat
Now go back and read the THIRD word in each line from the top down.

And one more thing !!

> > The following short quiz consists of 4 questions and will tell
> you whether you are qualified to be a "professional."
> > Scroll down for each answer. The questions are NOT that
> difficult. But don't scroll down UNTIL you have answered the question!
> >
> > 1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> >
> >
> > The correct answer is: Open the refrigerator, put in the
> giraffe, and close the door. This question tests whether you tend to do
> simple things in an overly complicated way.
> >
> > 2 How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator?
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > Did you say, "Open the refrigerator, put in the elephant, and
> close the refrigerator?" Wrong Answer.
> >
> > Correct Answer: Open the refrigerator, take out the giraffe put
> in the elephant and close the door. This tests your ability to think
> through the repercussions of your previous actions.
> >
> > 3. The Lion King is hosting an animal conference. All the
> animals attend... except one ... Which animal does not attend?
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > Correct Answer: The Elephant. The elephant is in the
> refrigerator. You just put him in there. This tests your memory.
> >
> > Okay even if you did not answer the first three questions
> correctly, you still have one more chance to show your true abilities.
> >
> > 4. There is a river you must cross but it is inhabited by
> crocodiles, and you do not have a boat. How do you manage it?
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> > *
> > *
> >
> > *
> >
> >
> >
> > Correct Answer: You jump into the river and swim across. Have
> you not been listening? All the crocodiles are attending the Animal
> Meeting. This tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.
> >
> > According to Anderson Consulting Worldwide, around 90% of the
> professionals they tested got all questions wrong, but many preschoolers
> got several correct answers. Anderson Consulting says this conclusively
> disproves the theory that most professionals have the brains of a four
> year old.

As a consultant... no truly I am, my brain was long since dashed against the rocks of industry. Fortunately my memory is still hanging in there, and I have seen this one before.... phew!

BTW The Commerzbank tower in frankfurt is europes tallest building at 259m (850ft) spread over 56 Floors. Londons tallest building is 1 Canada Square at 244m (800ft) spread over 50 floors. :D....... for the time being, roll on the glass shard.... oh, I forgot, I don't like London :oops:

When I kept a dog in the fridge the RSPCA did me for animal cruelty... No way I'm doing that again, especially not with a giraffe! ;) I'm not a consultant, still an analyst (same job, they upgrade you when you find your first grey hairs... usually aged 30!)

Right, off to sing a rousing chorus of "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner"... Except that should possibly be "Maybe it's because I'm a Westminsterian" seeing as South Ken is in the City of Westminster...

One good reason why that test shouldn't be trusted too much: Anderson Consulting no longer exists, other than in the history books of Accenture.

And then there were four... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back