Gu10 fitting with 0.5mm cable is it OK on 6A circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some Gu10 fittings that come with 50watt lamps and I've noticed the electrician is connecting them with 0.5mm flex. I have some electrical background and so can understand some of any installation. He has said it will be fine as the lamp won't draw anywhere near the cable rating.

I know that 0.5mm cable can take 3A so over 700watts and the lamp is only 50watts but is it accepted to have a cable that can only cope with 3A on a 6Amp circuit breakers?

I appreciate any advice/answers.

Sponsored Links
Is he wiring the whole lot new in 0.5 flex or just using short lenghts of 0.5 flex from the existing Junction boxes to the lights

Just from connectors to the light fitting. The whole circuit is wired in 1.5mm Twin&E. The connectors are in 2 parts and so allow you to easily disconnect a fitting if necessary.

Did you think to query why the circuit is wired in 1.5 mm cable when 1.0 mm is adequate?

Sponsored Links
Did you think to query why the circuit is wired in 1.5 mm cable when 1.0 mm is adequate?
Does it really matter? If it's an existing install, which it sounds like, your point is completely irrelevant. If it's a new install, it's hardly the end of the world

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back