GU10 light blew up on me last night - literally - pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was working at my desk last night; had the desk lamp turned to face the ceiling so the light was more diffused.

After about 20 minutes - BANG. Flying glass all over the place. Blew out the bulb and glass front cover.

Luckily, the lamp was behind my computer, so I didn't get glass on me, but the glass burnt the desk.

The GU10 lamp (50W) came as a freebie in a down lighter and is the kind that has a glass cover on the front to stop you touching the bulb inside. I've found the freebie GU10's only last about 3 months, so I've taken them all out and replaced them with 5000 Hr equiv. I use the big bag of GU10 leftovers in desk lamps because they're easier to change (got tired of moving ladders all over the house to reach the ceiling lights).

I understand that bulbs can go bang, but I thought the glass front cover was meant to stop glass flying around?

What could have caused this?

Nothing was covering the bulb, and there didn't appear to be any electrical surge before hand (I had other lights on).

I thought Gu10's could be used in any position? Or have the Chinese now developed a bulb that can only be used pointing down?

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

Sponsored Links
Blimey! Imagine the damage that could be done if a piece landed on soft furnishings, yourself or indeed an eye!

I have seen this before, in a childs bedroom, suppliers/manufacturers were very quick to offer compensation for damaged soft furnishings. Luckily nobody was injured in this case. I am sure your photos will bring a rapid response to your request for similar recompense. They should be safe to use in any position especially when fitted to a movable lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back