H&S (Again!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to deliver a couple of electric motors yesterday where I knew they were 'hot' on H&S.
Had safety boots/Hi-Viz and hard hat.
Gets to site to be met by a guy who starts off,
"Right driver, dismount from your cab and let me see what you are wearing please."
"Are you taking the pi$$? You can see what I'm wearing."
"Can't see your footwear."
Open cab door and show him my steelies. (Not the way I would have liked to, mind).
"OK, proceed into the workshop and follow the instructions you are given."
Reversed wagon through roller shutters till banksman signalled stop.
Gets out of cab, drops side panel on wagon and undoes strops.
Climbed onto back of wagon using the step built into the side panel.

From outside,

"Get off that wagon back NOW!"
Thinks, "What the fook!"
"No-one is allowed to climb on the backs of wagons in this establishment! Were would we be if you had had a fall?"
"Well I'd probably be lying on my back with you leaning over me and bellowing down my ear."
"It is company policy that you are not allowed on there in case you hurt yourself."
"Then how do I get the sheeting off? I only have normal length arms and they won't reach over the other side?"
"You should have an asistant with you."

Well it went on in this vein for about 10 minutes.
In the end I said, "Right, I am going to sit in my cab while you arrange for someone from your company to remove the remaining strops, remove the sheeting, unload those 2 motors, neatly fold my sheeting and stow it in that box on the back, roll up my strops and store them likewise, lift up and secure the side panels. When you have finished you will arrange to have my delivery notes signed, dated and the name of the signatory printed in legible letters in all the correct boxes on the sheet."

It took 3, yes three, blokes to do a job that would have taken me on my own no more than 10-15 minutes to complete and be on my way!

If you don't want to sit in your cab you have to stand in a green painted area called a 'Safe Zone', until they have finished. Which by those standards could be a very long time, once in the box you cannot move out till the loading/unloading is complete.
When I pulled out into the yard area one of the guys came to 'apologise' to me.
"Its not us XXXXX, (we knew each other from previous meetings), its this new H&S guy we've got. He's a pillock" :eek:
Thats putting it mildly!

Sponsored Links
H&S Bashing
yawning.jpg

yawning.jpg
yawn5.jpg

Get a life! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately conny thats the way of the world,where i work lorry drivers must remain by their cabs and in full view of the fork truck driver when unloading/loading the wagons.At a sister company in Belgium a fork truck driver was unloading a load of pallets the driver had gone around the other side of the lorry unknown to the f/l driver,the f/l driver misjudged the unloading and pushed the pallets over the other side crushing the driver of the lorry who ended up losing one of his legs.
Because of this incident in Belgium thats why they introduced the restriction on drivers on the other sites.If drivers don't want to comply with site regs regarding h/s then the company who they work for is informed and won't be let back on site again.

i fully understand and agree with all the daft H&S rules that are forced on us now, and it is the fault of all the bams who will claim someone when they hurt themselves, all common sense has left us, we know what we are doing and can look after ourselves, BUT someone is always waiting in the wings to claim, how many people have you heard of when told that someone has a minor bump in the car says "get a claim in, you will get £1k for whiplash, everyone does it and you pay enough insurance anyway" NO that is why my insurance is so high, companies are now simply insulating themselves from all the bams, and the rest of us are suffering

Years ago, lorry came to our factory with a large dial platform scale that had been repaired, waited and waited for about two hrs to be unloaded.
Every flt truck driver said be back in a miniute mate....
Driver got fed up waiting, (been there three hours ) he lashed the scale to a nearby girder, and drove off :LOL: :LOL:

Wotan

Years ago, lorry came to our factory with a large dial platform scale that had been repaired, waited and waited for about two hrs to be unloaded.
Every flt truck driver said be back in a miniute mate....
Driver got fed up waiting, (been there three hours ) he lashed the scale to a nearby girder, and drove off :LOL: :LOL:

Wotan

Style! :LOL: :LOL:

Perhaps this guy gets turned on by seeing truck drivers in all the gear?

Did the three guys who eventually unload you, do a risk assessment?
The company I work for do a lot of on site deliverys, and our drivers are supposed to do a risk assessments for each delivery.
The HSE have been getting a bit uptight about working on the back of the trailers (working at heights).
I did have a pal who once fell of the back of one, causing a calcaneus fracture (broken heel bone). Which put him out of action for awhile.

The latest idea from our area H&S guy is to erect a 'boxing ring' structure on the back of every wagon to prevent anyone falling off. :eek:

When we asked if they would be removable he said no they would have to be a permanent fixture so people wouldn't leave them off.

Right, so how the hell do we get on to release a crane hook?
How do we load a palletised motor?
Do we have the authority to modify a vehicle without the manufacterers permission?
Will it affect any insurance premiums?

Area H&S guys reply.

"Err, let me think about it."

:LOL: :LOL:

Bring back common sense I say, and accepting responsibility for your own actions. If you think about what you are intending to do and take care doing it then there would be no need for 75% of this H&S crap. :evil:

(Oh, and ban these compo lawyers!)

OK - so H&S is supposed to ensure human safety. Once you begin to emply personnel to identify risks, then obviously they will spend their time looking for risks and worse case scenarios - their identified solutions are merely a corollary of this process.

As for compo lawyers, where there's muck there's brass I suppose. Again, their very existence is a consequence of there not being alternative employment to utilise their graduate trained minds.

Sponsored Links
Back