Hagar MT132 - can I have a 8.5kW shower?

quite unbelievable. it says exactly what ive stateted funnily enough.

regs
601-09-02
601-06-01

Certain equipment in bathrooms and shower rooms must be protected by a 30mA RCD. For example, a 230V
fan in zone 1 of a bathroom, that cannot be located elsewhere, must be protected by a 30mA device and must
have an IP rating of at least IPX4 (IPX5 if hosed down)

Sponsored Links
601-06-01 Refers to the IP protection required in the zones, I have never disputed that, nor does it have anything to do with RCDs.
601-09-02 Refers to fixed equipment in zone 1, it allows (i) water heaters, (ii) shower pumps, (iii) other equipment if is it suitable for the conditions in the zone and RCD protected, (iv) SELV current using equipment.
As a shower unit is a water heater there is no requirement for RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
Best practice says they should, the regulations say they don't need to be on RCD. It should always be taken that the regulations are a minimum standard to work to, the manufacturers instructions overrule the regulations.

It is good practice, but it is not a requirement of BS7671 to protect a shower with an RCD.

Most shower manufacturers specify RCD protection in their instructions, in which case you must follow their instructions.

<edit> Too slow :mad:

RF Lighting said:
It is good practice, but it is not a requirement of BS7671 to protect a shower with an RCD.

Yes, it has become almost the 'hidden reg' of the sparky.Even if you can not find the wording to imply that an RCD needs to be fitted to a shower I think we all sleep easier in our beds at night knowing we had fitted one and thus done everything 'so far as reasonably practicable' to make that possible combo of water and electricity safer.

I think I've followed what you've all been talking about! I don't have an RCD pull cord thingie on my shower and it's nice to know I don't HAVE to have one put in - just have to find a manufacturer who doesn't specify one (which could be the tricky part).

Did some phoning round today and the average price I got for the MCB change, RCD installation and pull-through was around £350, not including the cost of the shower unit itself.

I'm seriously considering getting my faulty 7.2kW shower replaced with a new 7.2kW shower so all the wiring can stay exactly like it is!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back