Hagar MT132 - can I have a 8.5kW shower?

Okay, now I'm just getting confused. When I did my ringing round today, one of the electricians asked me what I currently had and he said I needed an "RCD pull cord" in a sentence as if they were the same thing.

All I know is that I don't have a pull cord switch in the bathroom and the shower runs hot unless I go downstairs, open up the meter cupboard and flick the switch on the MCB unit to off - at which point the shower runs freezing cold.

If it's connected to anything else, then I've missed it, so it must be really small or hidden somewhere!

So do I need an MCB, an RCD and a pull cord isolator thingie and I'm missing things that I should have? The shower was installed before I bough the house...

Sponsored Links
i have to say, ive never heard of a pull cord rcd. the shower needs to have a form of isolation usually in the form of a pull cord inside the bathroom or a switch outside.

apparently rcd`s are not needed although you would be silly not to use one.

i think im safe with that statement. ;)

That means my current shower hasn't been installed correctly, so I need to replace everything. Typical!

Okay, can anyone recommend a sparky in Manchester who could come and fit a new shower for me? Would rather not have to just randomly pick someone from the Yellow Pages.

I could go out and buy the shower (unless it's someone who prefers to work with a particular make/model of shower) but would need someone to upgrade wiring, upgrade MCB, fit RCD, fit isolation switch... and preferably not ruin the lovely tiling in my bathroom!

Sarah

easy tiger! ;)
it may be a a case of just installing an isolater. assuming that the cable size is correct

Sponsored Links
So am I best getting someone to come out and assess my house before I know what needs to be done? What's a typical sparky call-out charge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back