hager consumer unit / shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a new electric shower the the consumer unit already has a RCD but all fuse MCB's are used do I need to fit an extra MCB or can i fix straight to RCD?

Sponsored Links
No, an RCD is a different thing to an MCB. The shower circuit must be connected to an overcurrent protective device such as an MCB. You may need to have another consumer unit installed, I'd advide to get an electrician in.

You could always fit an RCCB if you consumer unit will accept these, or alternatively mount an RCD solely for the shower in a separate enclosure next to your consumer unit.

That aside, the fact that you asked the question means you probably shouldn't be carrying out this work. Taking Spark123's advice would be a good idea.

An RCBO is a combined RCD and MCB.
An RCCB is what everyone referrs to as an RCD, is does not provide overcurrent protection.

Sponsored Links
I have 3 spaces so i could get an RCD and a MCB copy the wireing from say the sockets that go through the already there RCD and a MCB and in in :D

Wiring is not about copying other circuits. Each circuit needs to be designed to be safe. Working to the IEE regs (which is what most sparks do) will ensure, to the best of their ability, that the installation is safe. Things which need to be taken into account as well as the protective devices are cable length, how it is installed, main and supplementary bonding and wether the supply can take the additional load. Mentioned above are units called RCBOs. These combine the functions of an RCD and an MCB into one unit. Your electrician, depending on the type and age of the CU may be able to install one into the existing CU.

I think i'll get an electrician RCD, MCB and RCOB's it's all all a bit to much for me I supose satfey is the most important thing.

Spark123 said:
An RCBO is a combined RCD and MCB.
An RCCB is what everyone referrs to as an RCD, is does not provide overcurrent protection.

My bad, I did indeed mean RCBO, but sadly I can often type faster than I am able to think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back