Half paint/ half plaster how do I prepare to paint a wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a novice decorator and need some assistance! I am preparing my sons room for painting and redecorating. I removed all the wallpaper which was on the top half of the walls. The bottom half of the walls had been painted. But the top half is unpainted plaster. The paint has chipped in places where I was removing the border and wallpaper. I have chipped back the paint as far as it was loose. But now there is a jagged line of paint covering all the walls of the room. I tried sanding it down, but I think the paint line will still show thru the new paint job. What do I need to do to ensure that the walls are even and smooth before I apply the color to the walls?

Hoping someone can help!

Sponsored Links
Skim those areas with Easy-fill or Tetrion all purpose filler if you cant acheive a smooth finish that way you might want to line the walls for a guaranteed smooth finish ;)

LJW,

Thanks for your response. I was told by B&Q salesperson to water down pva and paint solution over walls first b/4 painting with my choice of color. Is this sound advice? My poor son is desperate to get back into his own room, however I want to make a good job of the redecorating. What should I do? I've already bought the pva and wanted to get on with it today!

Thanks again,
S.

:eek: NO :eek: Never paint PVA then try and get emulsion on top ...That fool @ B+Q wants an enema of PVA :evil: I`m in Sussex, which branch :?: I`ll personally take my enema kit down there and administer it :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I was told by B&Q salesperson to water down pva and paint solution over walls first b/4 painting with my choice of color. Is this sound advice?
NO, no, that’s extremely poor advice; DO NOT use PVA on bare plaster before painting. Prime with a wash coat of ordinary cheap, white matt emulsion thinned 25-30%; apply 2/3 coats in quick succession while the previous coat is still damp; this helps paint adhesion & may be why the original paint is loose & flaky.

Once the wash coats are dry, follow LJW61’s advice & blend the two areas over with some filler & sand smooth; another wash coat over the join & then finish paint when dry. No real short cut to this if you want it to look good & how successful it is depends on the thickness of the old paint & how much sanding it will take without continually flaking off the wall.

:eek: NO :eek: Never paint PVA then try and get emulsion on top ...That fool @ B+Q wants an enema of PVA :evil: I`m in Sussex, which branch :?: I`ll personally take my enema kit down there and administer it :LOL:
:LOL:

I'm going to do a 'test' wall on a wall which will be covered by a wardrobe eventually. I appreciate what you have told me. Will do the watered down matt paint then fill and sand as needed. Hope it works! Don't want to have to line the walls, but I guess that would be my next option.

Thanks, will let you know how it works!

S.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back