Halfrauds!

You don’t need to print it out simply show it on your phone. Also most businesses don’t even require that, if you buy something and had it emailed or gave your post code they then have a stored copy of the receipt logged against that info on their system you simply quote your post code or email and they have your receipt in front of them.

I get what you are saying about old people but how long does the world continue to live in the old age to please people not willing to come into the future. I know people 80/90s quite happy with smart phones and computers.

People moan about green house gases and trees being cut probably the same people demanding a paper receipt the world is crazy.
My brother who is 54 doesn't have a smart phone, computer or a printer. He can't afford it.
My 90 year old father in law doesn't have a smart phone because his mobile is one of those extra loud ones for deaf people. He does have a basic computer and printer but his brain is becoming more addled now and doing simple things to someone like you are now confusing him.
How is this fair? This isn't about saving paper - stores could save a lot more than they do when it comes to being green. This is everything to do with marketing.
Have a google about e-receipts. As soon as you get one you're signed up to marketing. Nope, this isn't about saving paper or the coronavirus at all. Halfords have been pushing e-receipts for some time now, way before any virus.

Insist they print a receipt. It is unreasonable of them to expect a customer to have an email address or provide their postal address - any store which pushed it with me, would find me just walking out without the goods.
Me too. Even online - I ordered a small Christmas present for a mate from Laura Ashley and put in a made up telephone number. They emailed me and said they cannot complete the order without a valid number so told em they'd lost the sale. There is absolutely no reason that any store needs personal information, it's just about marketing.

Sponsored Links
How'd you manage that Johnny? Email is a required field for registering on this forum? Do you get special treatment?
I think he's just saying that's what you tell people in the shops.

I know plenty of people of my age that can’t get the concept of emails, online banking, booking flights and holidays online etc.

Sponsored Links
Not how I see it...alsorts of info is linked and can be found from it

What info?

You do know you can make an email address in less than a minute on about a million different sites? If concerned like I already suggested make one just for receipts.

There are even sites that give a 24 hour email address, you could get the receipt save it somewhere and then the email address is gone after 24 hours.

I know plenty of people of my age that can’t get the concept of emails, online banking, booking flights and holidays online etc.

While there is a small number that cant for genuine reasons a lot of it is “wont” these people I do feel sorry for you are missing out on a lot of good advances in the world.

Yep, something a lot of us would do in order to get a paper receipt. No point scoring to be made here Ceres, a bit desperate of you!! :LOL:

I wanted to know how John D managed to register on this forum without having email. That's a logical conclusion to draw from his statement.

You chose to answer my question on his behalf with your interpretation of his statement which may or may not be correct. I think you're the one clutching at straws here.

Jog on.

I have my own domain names with generic email forwarding. If asked I can make an address up on the spot eg [email protected] receive the receipt. Simple. If they abuse it and sell it on, it's pretty obvious who it is and they can be dealt with. It's also possible to block any without risking anything from anyone else.

I wanted to know how John D managed to register on this forum without having email. That's a logical conclusion to draw from his statement.

You chose to answer my question on his behalf with your interpretation of his statement which may or may not be correct. I think you're the one clutching at straws here.

Jog on.
If you'd read the thread in it's entirety you'd have seen why I thought his reply was about shops.

Sorry, anything can be taken out of context without reading and people using it to twist/have a dig or deliberately misread - isn't that something you accused me of recently and said how much you were fed up with?

I thought it was illegal for shops to refuse legal tender I.e. if I walk in to buy something with a twenty pound note that is not fake. However during the whole corona virus a lot of shops point blank refused cash. I understand why they don’t want to give printed receipts and handwritten would be even worse.

Why is everything on this site turned in to a mass conspiracy theory? They are harvesting email address”s for a big Halfords take over where they email out cryptic messages that once you read turns you into a buying zombie.

Conny check your facts before posting “Under UK law, there is no obligation for retailers to provide a receipt to customers, meaning there are also no rules protecting the quality of a receipt. ... This means the obligation to prove a purchase lies with the customer.”

Halfords would be perfectly in their right to not give a receipt.

It's a few years since I reviewed the laws regarding receipts but during the 1980's I had cause to and at that time it was illegal FOR ANY TRADER TO REFUSE to give some form of receipt if a purchaser requested one. To do so contravened the sale of goods act. This even applied to people selling something door to door or even selling a piece of furniture from your home. If someone came to your home to buy a wardrobe, sofa or whatever, anything that you were selling, you could not refuse to give them a receipt if they asked for one. I'm not saying it is mandatory that receipts have to be given, but if a customer requests one then the supplier cannot refuse to give one.
Regarding the giving of hand written paper receipts, yes I agree, it's not the most hygienic method at any time never mind in the present climate, but again, if you are selling something from home or on a car booty stall you are unlikely to have a proper till that dispenses receipts. In cases like that then a hand written one will be evidential if you end up in court for any reason. It is your proof that you legitimately bought the goods from the said person. Refusing cash during this pandemic is understandable. Wherever possible I will always pay by contactless or if it is above the limit I use a small touch stick thing to push the buttons. This I keep housed in a small plastic tub with sanitiser gel in the bottom. Personally if a shop refused me a receipt or demanded my email address I would not buy the goods. There is no legitimate reason for refusing a receipt.

They can’t use the email address for other purposes.

They can't LEGALLY use the address for anything else without your prior permission.
Sometimes it is not evident you have given permission until you read their small print where it may say something like, "We will only share your details with other companies or members of the ABC123 Group of companies or any third parties we deem may have similar products to offer you."

You can't avoid spam but you can filter it so it goes straight to your junk folder by setting your safety level to 'Only people in my contacts list'.
The problem with this is you have to check your junk folder if you are waiting for something from someone not in your contacts list, such as a hospital appointment which may use different email addresses for different departments.

Myself I would prefer all my receipts to be sent to me by email.
Screwfix do this and I think it's great, I don't use my real name for it and any emails off of them (you always get the marketing ones at first) can be opted out of.
Iceland ask you if you want your receipt, they do not print it if you say no - tbh I wish more stores would do this, those that you say you dont want one at just print it and bin it (which rarely gets recycled).

So I don't need to print out the emailed receipt, I can show it on my phone if needs be (although never had to do that as those with an email system can find it on the system given the email).
Won't your accountant accept scanned or digital paperwork these days? the same should apply to receipts.

The ones I get when grocery shopping generally stay at the bottom of the bag ones price checked.

Sponsored Links
Back