Hall lighting total confusion and mess.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking for some advice on where to put the wires after changing the 2 way 2 gang switch downstairs and the ceiling rose downstairs. I took a load of pictures before and I still can't fugure out where to put the wires in the new switch downstairs and I'm not sure if I have put the wires correctly in the ceiling rose.

Hope someone can help, it's probably second nature to most of you on here.

Sponsored Links
I wired the new switch as follows,

The left side switch with the yellow and red wire now switches on the light upstairs hall but he right hand switch with 2 black and a red does not switch on the downstairs hall light but the order is reversed if I then switch off the single switch upstairs, still with the downstairs light not working in any case.

I have wired in the short red wire which was between the 2 common connections as it was in the old switch.

Basically there is Plan A, and there is Plan B, and history tells us that topics like this usually end up at that conclusion, so to help you get there more speedily:

PLAN A:
  • Learn how lighting circuits are wired.
  • Get a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  • Identify which conductors are which at the switches and the light positions.
  • Check for voltage present, circuit continuity, switches working etc.
  • Connect everything up properly.
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back