Hallway ceiling papering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a right angled hallway about 3m x 3m x 1m wide and its main entrance is west facing.

This means one angle will need to be papered across and the other angle lengthwise, if you see what I mean.

The question is, in the west facing entrance, which is the best way to paper to minimise the effect of the light on the joints, across or lengthwise ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
why would you have to change the direction the paper is hung.

Without seeing the lay out I would hang the paper length ways from the door entrance where the main light is on opening the door, then the joins would not be so visible,
I would centralise the first length to run the middle of the hall, (Middle of paper to middle of hall) lining paper width about 60 cm leaving strip either side approximately 20cm, then the joins should not be noticable when finished

why would you have to change the direction the paper is hung.

Without seeing the lay out I would hang the paper length ways from the door entrance where the main light is on opening the door, then the joins would not be so visible,
I would centralise the first length to run the middle of the hall, (Middle of paper to middle of hall) lining paper width about 60 cm leaving strip either side approximately 20cm, then the joins should not be noticable when finished

@Bosswhite

I think, by right angled hallway, the OP means it is 'L' shaped. This would mean you would have a couple of full lengths on one section and several shorter lengths on the other - but all pieces would be running in the same direction.

I'm with you on running the full lengths along the ceiling from the entrance, but would probably try to get away with just two lengths so there is only one joint in the centre, minimising the chance of noticeable joints. This should be possible if the ceiling is no more than 1m wide, unless there is a pattern match which would make it look uneven.
On the other hand, two joints, as you state, may actually be a better option because the joints wouldn't be so central.
On the third hand (Yes, I'm a circus freak!), I suppose that the light running down the hallway could highlight one or two long joints more than it would several shorter joints running across the ceiling - kind of like if you look at a wall side on and you can't see joints that may be visible from viewing head on.

Either way, if the job is done well, joints shouldn't really be noticeable at all.

Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I think I prefer that third hand option, although actually seeing the layout would be the best way to figure it out.

@ricky101

No need to thank me for my decisiveness in making the decision decidedly easy for you to decide upon. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Sorry, bad choice of words, it is a L shaped hallway, the entrance being west facing and round the corner is actually south facing, but not as much direct light as the west facing entance where the ceiling is more apparent.
The south facing part also has the loft hatch ( bungalow) , second light and alarms on them so the eye is quiet distracted.

Seems like you both think the west aspect should be lenghtwise to minimise the joins, but then misterhelpful comes in with the third option ....:confused:....:sneaky:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back