Halogen Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just in the process of putting up a new plasterboard ceiling in my kitchen and i want to put up 50w recessed downlighters(6 in total 2 packs of 3)into the plasterboard, my questions are i already have an old light which i want to take down can i just connect the new lights onto this and use a junction box to connect the other three lights so it gives me the six i want,also are these downlighters ok into plasterboard?.My last question i have a single switch which turns the one light on but i want to be able to either turn on all six lights or three if i want ,what would i need to be able to do this.

Sponsored Links
You'll probably need to rewire back to the switch. Are the kits 230 or LV?

Sponsored Links
as it satnds your switch can only turn on / off all six, as mentioned to have 3 / 3 you will have to do some re wiring :cry:

Whats the difference between ELV and SELV? or even PELV seen this somewhere.

Thanks in advance

LV = 1000 volts or less

ELV = 50 volts or less (ac)

SELV = Separated ELV

PELV = Protective ELV

:confused: thanks for the reply but what is the actual definition of or difference between

SELV = Separated ELV

PELV = Protective ELV

Sorry to be a pain in the A***[/quote]

And let's not forget FELV...

Separated Extra-Low Voltage (SELV)
This voltage is electrically separated from earth and from other systems, is provided by a safety source, and is low enough to ensure that contact with it cannot produce a dangerous shock in people with normal body resistance or in livestock. The system is uncommon.
[B-A-S - not sure why they say it's uncommon - guess they must mean in the context of complete installations, not just lighting]

Protective Extra-Low Voltage (PELV)
The method has the same requirements as SELV but is earthed at one point. Protection against direct contact may not be required if the equipment is in a building, if the output voltage level does not exceed 25 V rms or 60 V ripple-free dc in normally dry locations, or 6 V rms ac or 15 V ripple-free dc in all other locations.

Functional Extra-Low Voltage (FELV)
This system uses the same safe voltage levels as SELV, but not all the protective measures required for SELV are needed and the system is widely used for supplies to power tools on construction sites. The voltage must not exceed 50 V ac or 120 V dc.

See also http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.16.1.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back