Halogen light fire risk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The LABC officer came today to inspect some drainage work I'd carried out, poked his head in the loft to look at the vent pipe, and told the householder that he wanted 250mm of insulation up there.

Householder asked if I could sort this out - what I later realised is that there are 14 recessed spotlighty whatsits in the ceiling.

Each spotlight bulb is rated at 35W, measures 50mm in diameter, and is powered from an individual transformer. I didn't check the voltage but if I had to guess I'd say 12V.

So, what happens when I put insulation over these? These little oiks get very hot, so is there a fire risk?

If so, what's the correct/normal way of dealing with this problem?

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
The LABC officer came today to inspect some drainage work I'd carried out, poked his head in the loft to look at the vent pipe, and told the householder that he wanted 250mm of insulation up there.
WTF has it got to do with him, when it's an existing dwelling?

So, what happens when I put insulation over these? These little oiks get very hot, so is there a fire risk?
Yes.

Seek advice from the manufacturer regarding clearances, and build structures around and over the lights to keep the insulation at bay.

Hi b-a-s

ban-all-sheds said:
WTF has it got to do with him, when it's an existing dwelling?
Er, quite a lot - he's been asked to sign off the building certificate for the work carried out years ago by the builder who ran away and left someone else to finish off, and neither of them completed the plumbing properly, nor, it transpires, various other things.

The BCO is actually being extremely pragmatic over many small things, and very helpful, but he can't turn a blind eye to an UTTER lack of loft insulation.

ban-all-sheds said:
Seek advice from the manufacturer regarding clearances, and build structures around and over the lights to keep the insulation at bay.
Could you elaborate on the "structures"? Are there off-the-shelf items, or do I have to fashion something out of papier maché and fireproof glue?

Softus said:
The BCO is actually being extremely pragmatic over many small things, and very helpful, but he can't turn a blind eye to an UTTER lack of loft insulation.
Was 250mm required when the place was built? Not that it makes much difference..

Could you elaborate on the "structures"? Are there off-the-shelf items, or do I have to fashion something out of papier maché and fireproof glue?
Plywood or MDF. Some kind of saw. Pencil and measuring stick. Woodscrews or nails.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Was 250mm required when the place was built? Nope. Not that it makes much difference.. Sadly, it doesn't.

Could you elaborate on the "structures"?...
Plywood or MDF. Some kind of saw. Pencil and measuring stick. Woodscrews or nails.
Blimey! Surely electricians don't do all that arts and crafts nonsense every time they install a hot lamp thing near some kindling? If so, I'm glad I'm not one!

I'll bet they don't.

In which case they may be contravening the building regulations, and therefore comitting an offence when signing a bit of paper to say that they have complied.

A good idea is an upturned 12 to 15 inch terracota flower pot over the fitting. Yes it'll get hot, but the hole in the end will allow the heat to dissipate, it'll keep the insulation away from the light and will cost about a quid for each one. It won't look pretty, but it is only a loft...
Terracota doesn't burn either.

teachergeezer said:
A good idea is an upturned 12 to 15 inch terracota flower pot over the fitting. Yes it'll get hot, but the hole in the end will allow the heat to dissipate, it'll keep the insulation away from the light and will cost about a quid for each one. It won't look pretty, but it is only a loft...
Terracota doesn't burn either.

:LOL: :LOL: Is that what your teaching our lads at college, use a flower pot, this is not Blue Peter

The last guy I know who was advised to use a flowerpot used plastic NOT TERRACOTTA _ I am not kidding and they were not much bigger than the light fittings either

Wow, that must have made a mess. Up until now I had never heard of using flower pots, I wonder if CEL will start stocking them :LOL:

the soil from the plant pots is usful too, if your lighting circuit doesn't have an earth... :LOL: (yes we laugh, but I have heard of some DIYer doing this... :rolleyes: )

some buider told me about clay flower pots in loft for this purpose . when i moved in my house i had some clay pots in loft and grow lights and watering can lol

Not sure where u can get them but I have seen pockets that fit over teh fittings for this purpose, They are a cone shape and made of aspecial material to reduce the heat reaching the insulation, As i said Im not sure where u can get them but they do exist. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back