Halogen lights stopped working one after the others in days

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I installed about a year ago some halogen lamps in the kitchen. There is basically 2 transformers that are linked to the ceiling lighting cable. For each transformer I connected 3 halogen spotlights. Spotlights and transformers came together in the box when I bought them.

In about a couple of days 3 halogen lights burnt out. Coincidence or not? Sounds weird right?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Thomas

Sponsored Links
I suspect you have overloaded the transformer. Check the wattage of your replacement lamps. Rip them out and fit GU10 leds. You'll never look back !

KA :D

if you have six lamps, you are going to have bulbs fail six times as often as if you only have one. That's one of the reasons some people grumble they are always having kitchen spotlights fail.

the other reason, in your case, is that after the first lamp on a transformer fails, the load is reduced and the voltage will increase. The higher voltage will make the remaining lamps burn brighter, and hotter, and burn out faster.

If all your lamps were the same age, they will tend to reach their service life end at about the same time.

Energy saving lamps have much longer lives, and are more tolerant of voltage fluctuations (as well as being much cheaper to run)

What sort of "halogen lamps" are we talkking about? Downlights?

How are they installed? Is there insulating material covering them, or fire hoods?

Sponsored Links
Knowall, John,

Thanks a lot for your help on that. Crystal clear!
2 things then. A bit weird that these transformers are designed in a way they cannot protect their "own" 3 lights separately! I guess I will know next time!
And I will switch to the GU10 asap.

Thanks again!
Thomas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back