Zone 3 lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could I have some electrical advice please?

I have a flying shelf above the basin in my bathroom bridging two wall cupboards approx. 1.2meters above the basin which I understand makes it zone 3. I would like to add a couple of low voltage spotlights;

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/70611...olite-Single-Polished-Chrome-1-Lamp-Spotlight

The transformer would be mounted on top of one of the wall cupboards, well out of reach and not even close to zone 2.

My first question is are these lamps OK to use in this situation? and is it OK to undermount these fittings on a flying shelf made of laminate chipboard bearing in mind the heat that halogen lamps give off (I will probably use 20w or 3w led's.

Many thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
701.414.4.5 Requirements for SELV and PELV circuits
Where SELV or PELV is used. whatever the nominal voltage, basic protection for equipment in zones 0, 1 and 2 shall be provided by:
(i) basic insulation complying with Regulation 416.1, or
(ii) barriers or enclosures complying with Regulation 415.2 and affording a degree of protection of at least IPXXB or IP2X.

Since IP20 that bit complies.

Zone 2 ends 2.25M above bath or basin so in Zone 2. (There is no Zone 3 since 2008)

Transformer information not given so as to if can be used with 3W lamp or where it can be mounted is of course unknown. The instructions does warn about min as well as max rating of transformer (Inverter really).

The instructions do say it can be mounted on flammable services and that no flammable items should be within 0.5 meters from where it can be aimed.

However it would come under Part P so either you need to get an electrician who is a member of the scheme to fit it or pay the LABC their absorbent fee normally £100+ so electrician would be cheapest option.
He will advise as to suitability.

I would consider not suitable as if it was suitable for use in a bathroom they would advertise as such.

Screwfix only list two lamps for use in bathrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back