Halogen 'Rail Light' - Dimming but no dimmer!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. In new flat for a few days now, kitchen has a kind of lighting strip which incorporates 3 halogen bulbs on a rail. They have a standard light switch. All other lights in the house are normal bayonet bulbs.

It was all working OK until today, when they suddenly stared dimming, and in about 15 secs they were giving no light at all. Tried turning it off and on again but it did not work.

After leaving it for 5 mins or so, I tried again and they came on full blast....for about 2 mins! Then dimmed to off again.

Any ideas? Could it be something to do with the heat (it was about 30 degrees where I am today).

Cheers

Sponsored Links
if they all do same thing at same time, check connections, start at strip, then switch then jb for stip, then previous light. commonly known as a track light, shops use them as they are very versatile.

Some further info, when this was happening the lights would turn on for 3 mins or so, then off. But if I turned the switch off for 5 mins or so, they would then come on for about another 3 mins. This happened a number of times, thats why I thought it may have been something to do with heat. All 3 lights were doing the same thing BTW.

Are they low voltage, could it be the transformer?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they're SELV, and the thermal cut-out on the tx (sorry, transformer) is activating.

Check the output rating of the transformer. It might only be rated at 60W and the light might be designed to take three 20W lamps, but it is not uncommon for folk to stick 50W lamps in without checking, and you end up with a 60W transformer trying to supply upto 150W (and it will cut out to save its self from being destroyed)

Hands up who has done it
I have :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back