Halogen spotlights - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to fit a set of three mains voltage halogen spotlights in place of a ceiling rose.

Got a bit carried away taking down the old ceiling rose and didn't note the cable positions as I thought it would be much simpler than it is!
I have got three cables coming down from the ceiling which I understand is loop-in wiring.

I think I have identified the switch cable by going up into the loft and finding the cable that looks like it goes down the cavity wall where the switch is.
So I have all the red cores connected together.
The earth cables connected the earth on the connecting block.
The black core of the switch cable going to the brown on the connecting block.
And the 2 remaining blacks going to the blue on the connecting block.

Now when I turn the power back on and try the switch (a 2 way dimmer and the only switch in the room) nothing happens. When I try the landing light the halogens come on dimly, if i try another light upstairs at the same time, the halogens come on brighter.

Right - now thinking that I have got the wrong switch cable so try the other two. One does the same, the other does nothing at all.

Sorry this is so long winded, but what am I doing wrong? :(

Sponsored Links
you really need to have a multi meter to find which cable does what.

the other thing you only mention brown and blue once, where are the other lights connected to?

the halogen lights are all mounted on one plate and each blue and brown wire are connected to each other in the block - how they were when I bought it.

How do I test the wires with a multimeter?

have you a multi meter then?

i would suggest you find the switch cable first

Sponsored Links
No - but I think I might need one :rolleyes:

I have never used one - so how would I go about finding the switch cable?

Right got one now only the instructions are really not very helpful.

Sorry for being thick but how do I use it to check the switch cable?

dissconnect the cable and change switch to an on /off (temp) and check for continuity, or better still ask the person that lent you the meter to show you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back