Halstead boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a Halstead Eden Sb boiler, 6 1/2 years old. It has an intermittant fault, with it mainly not working. The symptoms are:- very occaisonally it will start up and work with no problems, usually it attempts to start and then fails. On the first go, it will attempt to start three times in succession. During these attempts, the fan starts, electrode sparks each time, a flame is visible through the inspection window, which will extinguish after a few seconds. After the third attempt, failure code F4 is displayed. After turning the main power switch off and allowing the boiler to reset, then on the second and subsequent goes, same sequence of three attempts to start, fan starts, electrode sparks, flame is visible again, but these times, code F1 is displayed. Sometimes when it does start up properly, and then is turned off once the room thermostat does not call for heat, it will not restart once the thermostat calls for heat.

F1 fault in manual suggests check condensate drain, gas valve operation, fan operation. To check this:- If the power supply to the gas valve is disconnected, no flame occurs during ignition, suggesting gas valve is ok. Condensate trap and drain are not blocked

F4 fault in manual suggests gas pressure at inlet, electrode, flue. Gas pressure ok, flue clear.

My heating engineer, who did all the above checks, suggested it may be the PCB, but could get very little technical info from Halstead/GlenDimplex on how to confirm this is the fault. Neither he nor i want to go down the route of replacing random parts in an attempt to locate an intermittant fault. Does anyone know of any other checks to focus in on the faulty component/wiring based on the above information?

Thanks, Graham

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back