Halstead Wickes LW50ci wont ignite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Halstead Wickes LW50ci boiler. The boiler has been turned off at the mains for about 3 months and I have only recently tried to ignite it.

To light the boiler, I turn the boiler on (at the mains) and then turn the control knob located on the boiler to maximum. An ignition lockout light is illuminated (the manual says to expect this if the boiler has been switch off). Therefore, to attempt an ignition I press the small reset button above this light. After about 30 secs the boiler fan will start to spin, the gas valve opens but there is still no ignition and no spark from the electrode.

I replaced the electrode and also vented the central heating system to ensure no air was trapped inside the boiler. When I try to light it now, after pressing the reset button, I can be waiting for 3-8mins for it to attempt an ignition. The fan will spin but this time the gas valve wont open.

I have read through the fault finding page of my manual and it seems to put the blame on the ignition control PCB.

I would like to know if I am heading in the right direction. Has anyone seen these symptoms in a boiler before and could you tell me what the solutions might be?

I should also mention that the programmer is turned on to full and the central heating pump is running and pumping water around the system. There are no room thermostats and there is no domestic water cylinder.

Thanks for you help!

Sponsored Links
Can't say from here that it is defo the ignition pcb, but I have changed quite a few.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back