Halstead Finest Problem - Here we go again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,
I've read previous posts on this "wonderful" boiler and just want to ask a few questions about my specific problem.
I've had a couple of installer friends (they dont really do repairs!!) take a look at my Halstead Finest which keeps going to safety lockout. They've cleaned the fan housing out. Diaphram is good. Changed the Air Pressure switch and i had a new board in February, changed the thermistor and checked the other main parts.
Boiler gets to temp and locks out, with the cover off it doesnt lock out and water comes out of the overflow.
Does this sound like the overheat thermostat is at fault or could this be something else?
any suggestions would be appreciated.
Many thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply.
One of the pipes had a split in and was replaced. They cleaned out the fan venturi too

Sponsored Links
started out with just the CH and now does is sometimes on the DHW but not always. It always goes to lockout on the CH when the presure reaches around 1.7 bar

i dont have a display for the temperature sorry.
the cold pressure is just under 0.75

Initial thoughts went to dying pump, do all the rads get hot? Odd that it works fine with cover off.

yep all the rads heat up as normal. with the cover off it stays on but then water comes out of the overflow which lead me to thinking it was the overheat stat or possibly the circuit board has gone (it is under warranty).

try linking all three terminals on the aps together to rule out the fan and venturii for the cutting out problem...its almost always this, the venturii has to be absolutely spotless.

try linking all three terminals on the aps together to rule out the fan and venturii for the cutting out problem...its almost always this, the venturii has to be absolutely spotless.

This. Blowing down the venturi doesn't count as cleaning it.

Also if it's ok with the cover off (apart from the pressure increase) then its almost certainly an air flow fault.

sorry got caught up answering queries in the building regs section.
so this may not be an overheating problem then? will have the venturi cleaned properly and check then. Strange how sometimes it runs longer than other times though

The fan impeller and venturi have to be cleaned with water to get them clean.

However, I dont advise DIYers to do anything to the fan or even open the combustion chamber when they are not gas registered.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back