Halstead VBX30 mystery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm really hoping someone might be able to solve the mystery of our Halstead boiler.

The problem is that it doesn't come on in the morning, but only the morning. It starts up, fan spins etc. Then after about 15 seconds it errors out with code 3 (flame failure). When I wake up, as I have been doing for a month now, to a freezing cold house I go and reset the boiler. It starts up again and will error the same way three times, then start on the fourth. It'll then stay on and work fine. It'll also work fine when it comes in again in the afternoon and evening.

I've had engineers out and they've:
-replaced the gas valve
-adjusted the spark gap
-replaced the CH pump

Over the course of four visits. Last visit was yesterday and I hoped the new gas valve would fix it, but no.

The boiler programmer is a Honeywell ST7100 and it's currently flashing its 'replace battery' indicator but it is calling for heat ok as the boiler is starting when it's supposed to. I'd just thought I'd mention it as I'm clutching at straws. The other thing that might be relevant is the boiler is located in an unheated garage.

I know Halsteads are rubbish and the parts are hard to get hold of, every engineer who had visited has told me that already. I'm just hoping someone might have a suggestion as it seems such a weird problem.

Any help or ideas, no matter how strange, would be hugely appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back