Hanging a Pull Up Bar in Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I would like to know if this is a safe thing to do?

I have a garage which is connected to the house and shares the same loft space throughout.

I have fixed a timber baton to the roof joist (standard 35mm thick joist) and bolted the pull up bar to the baton.....now unsure as to whether this will come down on me !! I'm 13 stone (82kg) and don't want to cause chaos !

Joists are 600mm centres in the roof. So I've basically drilled the baton into the 35mm section through the ceiling drywall four times....like so....then bolted the pull up bar to the baton (is this a good idea and do you think its possible the screws have gone in straight enough?)

Sponsored Links
How deep are your roof joists (35mm thick makes me think truss roof with not much additional loadbearing capacity).
And what are the dimensions of your batten and what is it achieving (have a think about that one).
You'd be better off spreading the load across 2 or more joists. 3/4 ply might be better than a batten (several good big screws into each joist, minimum 30mm into the timber).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back