Hanging and plumbing Boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys thought this might be best place to ask the question,

Can a non corgi plumber hang a new boiler? ovbiously not connect in the gas but just hang on the wall, then put in all other pipework? Then call in a corgi guy to connect in the gas etc. Im just wondering as heard varying storys on this. (some wont touch unless they do it all themself?)
Hav'nt found alot of info so if anyone can let me know or direct me elsewhere if this has been asked before

cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
you can do the lot yourself if you can prove competance and notify the Building control

But in the spirit and word of Gas Safety Installation and use regs then NO you cannot hang you own boiler.

Also have you found a RGI willing to fit a boiler supplied by you? as this can be a mine field in the event of a boiler failure as here is how the converstion would go

"hello boiler fitting man my boiler has broken down"

"Sorry Guv you supplied it and I know I fitted it right so you had better call the makers"

"hello is that the makers"

"yes"

"good I brought a boiler made by you and its broken down"

"well call the installer"

"I have but he says because I brought it he cannot guarantee it"

"I see, well we need the installer to ensure that its not his work, bye then"

and so on You are probably fuming buy now.

I and many others would not contemplate fitting a boiler supplied by a client due to unnescessary hassle, and lets face it we all have enough work at the mo not to bother with anything that is slightly hassled up.

:)

Corgiman wrote:
You can do the lot yourself if you can prove competance and notify the Building control
Not strictly true CM, the only time you would be called upon to prove competance (or disprove incompetance) HS77 would be in court if it all went horribly wrong.

There is no test for competance for DIY'ers and LABC in my experience couldn't give a stuff.

The bottom line though HS77 is that you probably know already whether or not you are competant to undertake such a potentially dangerous piece of DIY work and if you are not sure you are get someone in who is ... If you know what you are doing though ... DIY/LABC ;)

MW

Corgiman wrote:
You can do the lot yourself if you can prove competance and notify the Building control
Not strictly true CM, the only time you would be called upon to prove competance (or disprove incompetance) HS77 would be in court if it all went horribly wrong.

There is no test for competance for DIY'ers and LABC in my experience couldn't give a stuff.

The bottom line though HS77 is that you probably know already whether or not you are competant to undertake such a potentially dangerous piece of DIY work and if you are not sure you are get someone in who is ... If you know what you are doing though ... DIY/LABC ;)

MW

Oh lordy I promised myself never to argue this again so I will agree with you

Sponsored Links
I don't know what I was thinking ... It has been done to death ... Must be the rugby I'm all light headed :LOL:

cheers, I wasnt planning to do it myself as something I wouldnt touch, thinking of changing and upgrading the old system and thought about asking my plumber to do it.
So would a Plumber be competent? as he is in the trade. I have asked him and has told me he could but wouldnt like to be held responsible. What is LABC ?

I guess bottom line is I have 3 options, Do myself then get gas connected, Have plumber do it and then get corgi guy in, or have a a corgi guy do the whole lot.

Dont want to cause any arguements ;)

thanks again :D

sorry I thought I answered it

No you plumber cannot hang the boiler for a RGI to commision it as he will be in contravention of gas Safety Regs as he is doing it for monetary gain

Thanks, got abit confused when you said about yes you can but if your comeptent so thought the plumber was... nevermind :) wondered why he tended to avoid the subject ;)
Cheers

I probably confused the issue because I thought you were going to DIY.

No confusion where professionals are concerned ... Must be Corgi registered.

MW

Its really quite simple what the CORGI must do:-

Fit bracket to wall.
Assemble and fit flue.
Connect gas supply.
Inspect, commission boiler.
Notify CORGI of the installation.

As long as you ask the installer in advance then he will be allowed to do those things above.

Its unlikely as he did not supply the boiler that he will have any interest if it subsequently fails.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back