Hanging Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having some new radiators installed on a lattice and lime wall and worried that the wall won't take the weight. The guy doing it said with new type fixes you could swing off the brackets, they can hold so much weight. What are these fixing screws/brackets?
Also the walls are newly plastered and I'm thinking of having the pipe into the radiator through the wall rather than the floor. Any comments?

Sponsored Links
I use toggle type fixings made for hollow walls and yes they are excdellent and hold up radiators very well.

There are also fixings made by thorstman that i used today admittedly they were expensive but yes they are fantastic and spread the weight far into the wall thus make them perfect for weak walls

I would be extremely worried about any rad fixing into a non solid wall.

My solution is to mount the rads on 14/18mm MDF and then screw that firmly into the vertical battons.

When I needed a fixing into a lath and plaster wall, I drilled the bracket in 12 places and used 12 screws, each had little strength but in combination they were adequate.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agree with Tony. Plasterboard or lathe & plaster walls have no inherent strength unless you screw into the studs. Unless I am fixing an extremely light and small single panel radiator (and even then I make sure that at least 1 of the brackets is screwed into a stud) then there is no other sensible action other than to use ply or similar between studs to create a firm support for the brackets. It doesn't take all that long; just have to wait for the filler to dry if you want a neat job.

Wait :!: Good job you`re not in Scotland - The kru gets thru a house a day fully fixed and working up there :LOL:

Agree with Tony. Plasterboard or lathe & plaster walls have no inherent strength unless you screw into the studs. Unless I am fixing an extremely light and small single panel radiator (and even then I make sure that at least 1 of the brackets is screwed into a stud) then there is no other sensible action other than to use ply or similar between studs to create a firm support for the brackets. It doesn't take all that long; just have to wait for the filler to dry if you want a neat job.

Given that the wall is newly plastered, how will he locate the vertical studs?

(Annoying as the plumber was about and supporting noggins could have been put in before plastering)

If on plasterboard, just run a bead of silicone behind the rad bracket.

The wall will come down before the rad falls off :eek:

As for that chap saying you can swing off them, well, that may be true for the fittings, but when on lath & plaster, I fear he is talking tripe :rolleyes:

As for that chap saying you can swing off them, well, that may be true for the fittings, but when on lath & plaster, I fear he is talking tripe :rolleyes:[/quote] This is what i was getting at with my sarcastic comment, doesnt matter how good a fixing is, if you're fixing into a a poor structure, when you replastered why didnt you rip out the lath aswell and just make it a stud patition, hacking the horse hair plaster off would of damaged loads of the laths anyway and caused a load of mess

Of course any radiator is a dead weight pushing down on a partition, not pulling on the lath 'n' plaster.

Brolly type fixings designed for lath'n'plaster will do the job very well.

I know of very large radiators brackets fixed to the lath only. A lath 'n' plaster partition wall is very strong compared to a plasterboard one, you'd know it if you ever tried to remove one!!!!

Strong, but not rigid when it starts to crack. It will be all wobbly and loose as it cracks under the strain of the rad. Yes, it may take some force to pull out the lathes, but what a bodge up it will look when it goes all loose and crumbly, not to mention the stress put on the pipes once the rad is no longer rigid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back